Contribute
Register

How can I turn off the radeon card of macbook pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The radeon card of my macbook pro has broken and the machine cannot boot. I delete all kexts about AMD* and ATI*, then the machine boot into the desktop, but the Finder app always crashes and the video system is so slow that it seems the intergrated card do not work.

I install a ubuntu on the mbp, build the i915 driver into the kernel and shut down the ati radeon card in grub. It works fine and I install a Montain Lion on it using virtualbox. The Montain Lion is installed using extra iso files and the montain lion runs smoothly, and the speed of video system is good.

I wonder whether it is possible to turn off the radeon card of my macbookpro and let the montain lion runs with the intergrated graphic cards without using virtual box.

Any one can give some advise on my problem? Thank you very much !

Maybe this is a dumb question, but have you tried wiping the hard drive and starting fresh?

Thank you for your reply~

I install the Montain Lion via virtual box on physical dirver and then reboot from that driver.
A clean installation is not possible because my MBP refuse to boot during the installation procedure.

This sounds like a hardware problem. Assuming that this MBP isn't particularly old, I would take it in and see what it costs to have it repaired. Anything else will be a band-aid.

My MBP (2008) has two graphics cards :

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

In System Preferences if I select Energy saver - Graphics
Better Battery Life uses the 9400M
Higher Performance uses the 9600M GT

Can't you just switch this way ?

It is probably a 2011 MacBook Pro, as countless thousands of these are dying.
Too expensive to replace the main board.
I'm impressed by the VirtualBox solution, but could use a simpler workaround.
Apple is stonewalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back