Contribute
Register

High Sierra - Window Server Crash to Apple Boot Screen (Oddly, VNC still works)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. Mac mini
I've had this weird crash for a while now on my Mac Mini Late 2014 model, seems like it happens once a month. See attached photo. Initially I thought the whole mac was crashing and I'd power cycle it. Lately I've been using it as a Plex server and often administrate it over VNC. A couple weeks ago to my surprise I went to log on the Mini and was once again greeted with what looks like a failure to boot, but I knew I was connected to it via VNC on one of my other devices. I checked and for certain the Mac Mini was still happy as a lark on VNC but showing this apple boot on the screen attached to the Mac Mini. This time I did notice that mouse would still move so I captured that on the photo. Any idea where to look? I've reinstalled High Sierra clean and reinstalled my apps clean as a troubleshooting step, also diagnostics show nothing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Ether -

Attachments

• IMG_9927.jpg
    IMG_9927.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 116
I've had this weird crash for a while now on my Mac Mini Late 2014 model, seems like it happens once a month. See attached photo. Initially I thought the whole mac was crashing and I'd power cycle it. Lately I've been using it as a Plex server and often administrate it over VNC. A couple weeks ago to my surprise I went to log on the Mini and was once again greeted with what looks like a failure to boot, but I knew I was connected to it via VNC on one of my other devices. I checked and for certain the Mac Mini was still happy as a lark on VNC but showing this apple boot on the screen attached to the Mac Mini. This time I did notice that mouse would still move so I captured that on the photo. Any idea where to look? I've reinstalled High Sierra clean and reinstalled my apps clean as a troubleshooting step, also diagnostics show nothing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Ether -
boot verbose mode and then take a picture

boot verbose mode and then take a picture

This unfortunately isn't a boot issue. It will boot just fine from a reboot. The issue is the window server is still running (see photo), yet it looks like it rebooted on the screen but hasn't, mouse still moves on the physical monitor attached to the Mini and I can VNC in and administrate it perfectly. An odd one for sure!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back