Contribute
Register

High Sierra on HP OMEN 17-AN012DX with AMD Radeon RX580 working, only few issues left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi I bought new laptop HP Omen 17 Kaby Lake, with AMD 580X descrete graphic card. Display supports Free sync, so Intel GPU is totaly disabled and internal display and external connectors are directly attached to AMD gpu.

I was able to install High Sierra 10.13.6. It works, but there are some annoying bugs:

1. Boot is ridicolously slow, stage 1 from pushing button to DSMOS has arrived, is same pretty much under 1 minute as on other laptops, but second stage until Desktop is loaded takes 2-3 minutes.
2. After boot, internal display works perfectly, but when I disconnect external display or close and open lid, internal display goes to crazy state, when it only shows static noise, or it's completely black or flashing etc... Rest of laptop still works, even external display, only problem is internal.
3. After restart display settings are not saved, for example, I have one display in portrait mode, and after every restart I need to again select portrait mode.
4. SATA HDD is not shown in Disk Utility, disk should be in ahci mode, but there is no setting in bios for this, so I am not sure.

Otherwise, this is hell of a beast. macOS is buttery smooth on this, there is NO LAG, I had few PCs and laptops with Intel or Nvidia and none of them was as smooth as this, especially Nvidia was really disaster. I am attaching efi partition in attachment, if you want to know anything else, please let me know. I would be very thankful, if you could help me solve these few problems, so I will really appreciate any help, thanks.

PS: This is laptop specs - HP OMEN 17-AN012DX 17.3" Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-7700HQ Quad-Core 2.80GHz, AMD Radeon RX580 8GB, 12GB DDR4, 1TB SATA, 802.11ac

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    31.7 MB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Hi I bought new laptop HP Omen 17 Kaby Lake, with AMD 580X descrete graphic card. Display supports Free sync, so Intel GPU is totaly disabled and internal display and external connectors are directly attached to AMD gpu.

I was able to install High Sierra 10.13.6. It works, but there are some annoying bugs:

1. Boot is ridicolously slow, stage 1 from pushing button to DSMOS has arrived, is same pretty much under 1 minute as on other laptops, but second stage until Desktop is loaded takes 2-3 minutes.
2. After boot, internal display works perfectly, but when I disconnect external display or close and open lid, internal display goes to crazy state, when it only shows static noise, or it's completely black or flashing etc... Rest of laptop still works, even external display, only problem is internal.
3. After restart display settings are not saved, for example, I have one display in portrait mode, and after every restart I need to again select portrait mode.
4. SATA HDD is not shown in Disk Utility, disk should be in ahci mode, but there is no setting in bios for this, so I am not sure.

Otherwise, this is hell of a beast. macOS is buttery smooth on this, there is NO LAG, I had few PCs and laptops with Intel or Nvidia and none of them was as smooth as this, especially Nvidia was really disaster. I am attaching efi partition in attachment, if you want to know anything else, please let me know. I would be very thankful, if you could help me solve these few problems, so I will really appreciate any help, thanks.

PS: This is laptop specs - HP OMEN 17-AN012DX 17.3" Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-7700HQ Quad-Core 2.80GHz, AMD Radeon RX580 8GB, 12GB DDR4, 1TB SATA, 802.11ac
probably best to start off with a config.plist from the laptop guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

also MacBookPro14,1 would be a better choice

No experience with Radeon here..., but... anyone trying to offer help will need PR files.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Hey! I have the exact same laptop and am interesting in hackintoshing it as well. please let me know if you made any progress on this front. I'm very interested in using this as a final cut x learning/working machine. Would greatly appreciate any updates and if/how you found solutions to your issues.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread.

Hi frees11, I just got the same model laptop and tried 10.13.6 and your existing EFI file and tried it, but nothing worked. Did you ever update the OS and the BIOS? Look forward to your reply soon. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back