Contribute
Register

help with a music production build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this reply sounds rushed, but I'm leaving for somewhere soon.

If you didn't know, you can buy an i7-930 from MicroCenter for $199, and it runs at 2.8 GHz.

I would recommend the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R as it supports new features (USB3/SATA3) and the built in audio will be compatible with Snow Leopard (although you probably don't mind since you're adding an audio card). Plus, if anything, it's cheaper :) .

Oh, and like always, I'd recommend a better-branded power supply, as it's basically the heart of your whole system (if it dies, it can take everything with it). Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair are my favorites.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply and I'm sure the generous people of the Tonymac Forum are more than willing to respond.

pandar said:
Well the guy who responded to you is right about the I7-930 being $199 at Microcenter. I just bought one. He was wrong about the GA-X58A-UD3R. I bought the UD3R, and the audio is less compatible. The board you chose has the ALC889a which is VERY compatible. The UD3R isn't so compatible... in fact I don't have it working yet on my build.

Sorry to hear that, pandar. Did you check under the post-installation guide on how to get your ALC 889 working? Here's a link:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1686

And ALC 889 works out of the box for me, but that's only 10.6.0. I'll look into this a bit more later, but I need to go now.

I'm sorry you couldn't get your ALC 889 audio to work.. I'm surprised that the guide in the forum didn't help. I may look into it a bit more if I ever stumble upon any 889 builds again.

Everything looks like it will work out of the box, I'm just not sure about the audio that you will be adding to it since I'm not an audio guy :?

Hey, as long as there are drivers specially built for OS X, I think that's pretty safe sailing. Which usb audio are you planning on using? I just want it for reference to recommend to other people just incase they're also looking for one. ;)

static said:
ok so with the sepcs i posted do you guys think this will install osx out the box with no hassle and run my usb audio gear?
static,

Your build should work OOB.
However skip the Samsung DVD, as it will spin-up randomly, driving you crazy. Get a Sony instead !

Some additional comments:
- You might want to use G.Skill Eco instead of the Dominators, otherwise, it might limit you your selection of CPU coolers. On top of that, those will run cooler, thus saving you some fan noise.
- While the m700 is an OK PSU (it's even relatively silent). I'd pick an Antec or Corsair (both made by Seasonic).

I applaud you choice of CPU cooler ! ;)

Lnx2Mac said:
Some additional comments:
- You might want to use G.Skill Eco instead of the Dominators, otherwise, it might limit you your selection of CPU coolers. On top of that, those will run cooler, thus saving you some fan noise.

Um, the ecos come in triple channel varieties? because I don't remember that.

Lnx2Mac said:
- While the m700 is an OK PSU (it's even relatively silent). I'd pick an Antec or Corsair (both made by Seasonic).

:thumbup:

Hi, I just built a system for pro music and audio production. I'm running pro tools, logic, reason and a whole bunch of other pro audio apps ... runs like a dream. build cost was around £750 (that includes a Lian Li case which was £150) ... an equivalent apple machine would have cost £3.5k and would not be as good... anyhow, here's the specs. hope it helps.

Processor: Core i7 860

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Graphics Card: nVidia 9400 GT 1GB

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) 1333Mhz DDR3-SDRAM

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500GB Sata II 32MB

Power Supply: Arctic Cooling 500w PSU

Already had the keyboard, mouse and monitors.

subs said:
Processor: Core i7 860

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Graphics Card: nVidia 9400 GT 1GB

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) 1333Mhz DDR3-SDRAM

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500GB Sata II 32MB

Power Supply: Arctic Cooling 500w PSU

Already had the keyboard, mouse and monitors.

That's pretty good, although I would have recommended another RAM (the G.Skill Eco series). If you ever want to get a nice cooler for your i7, the Scythe Mugen 2 will be the way to go. Otherwise you can find the Hyper 212 Plus on sale and that will also be a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back