Contribute
Register

[HELP] noob with i7 2670QM max pstate x26?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very odd indeed. Intel Monitor shows both:base and turbo frequencies.

One of the SSDT tables stores _PSS states. What about reflashing BIOS with the same version? What do you guys think?
Perhaps, flash program will pick the new CPU and adjust SSDT table accordingly ?

BigDonkey said:

One of the SSDT tables stores _PSS states. What about reflashing BIOS with the same version? What do you guys think?
Perhaps, flash program will pick the new CPU and adjust SSDT table accordingly ?

I see the _PSS in ssdt-2. It is a lot different than many of the _PSS that we have been coding for use on the Mac side of things. It could be that Mac wants to see different data there.

Top looks like this:

Code:
        Name (_PSS, Package (0x20)
        {
            Package (0x06)
            {
                0x00000899, 
                0x0000AFC8, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x00001F00, 
                0x00001F00
            }, 
            Package (0x06)
            {
                0x00000898, 
                0x0000AFC8, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x00001600, 
                0x00001600
            },

0x899 is 2201Mhz (some kind of magic for turbo?)
0x898 is 2200Mhz

Notice the multipliers of 0x1F (31) and 0x16 (22). Seems like the top entry would adequately describe the turbo range for software that was written to handle it (ie. Windows). My i3 doesn't have that entry, which makes sense. It seems unlikely that reflashing BIOS will do anything, but it probably won't hurt either.

But still, what HP is putting in its SSDT for that chip is very different from what we are providing for Mac OS. And I just don't understand it all... On top of that I haven't found really good documentation for any of this. Well, there is the ACPI spec, but I think it is very likely that Apple and perhaps even Microsoft have invented their own unique way to deal with this.

But is pretty strange getting bigger multiplier out of Mac OS than Windows... Weird stuff.

RehabMan said:
Notice the multipliers of 0x1F (31) and 0x16 (22). Seems like the top entry would adequately describe the turbo range for software that was written to handle it (ie. Windows). My i3 doesn't have that entry, which makes sense. It seems unlikely that reflashing BIOS will do anything, but it probably won't hurt either.
I didn't check the table before posting. I guess I was expecting some _PSS static data from the previous CPU.
It looks like they got what's needed.

RehabMan said:
BigDonkey said:

I see the _PSS in ssdt-2. It is a lot different than many of the _PSS that we have been coding for use on the Mac side of things. It could be that Mac wants to see different data there.

Top looks like this:

Code:
        Name (_PSS, Package (0x20)
        {
            Package (0x06)
            {
                0x00000899, 
                0x0000AFC8, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x00001F00, 
                0x00001F00
            }, 
            Package (0x06)
            {
                0x00000898, 
                0x0000AFC8, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x0000000A, 
                0x00001600, 
                0x00001600
            },

0x899 is 2201Mhz (some kind of magic for turbo?)
0x898 is 2200Mhz

But still, what HP is putting in its SSDT for that chip is very different from what we are providing for Mac OS. And I just don't understand it all... On top of that I haven't found really good documentation for any of this. Well, there is the ACPI spec, but I think it is very likely that Apple and perhaps even Microsoft have invented their own unique way to deal with this.

But is pretty strange getting bigger multiplier out of Mac OS than Windows... Weird stuff.

Yah as predicted flashed the bios and still no change. With this information is it possible to write a more correct SSDT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back