Contribute
Register

Help Needed! - Gigabyte X79-UD5, F14e Bios, 3930K CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU
i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930
Graphics
EVGA 02G-P4-2643-KR GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone.

Long ago in 2012 I figured out how to get my system up & running Snow Leopard. Later when Mavericks came out, I tried to upgrade my OS & basically ended up wiping my 3 OSX hard drives with no success upgrading to Mavericks. Since I had access to my mac at work, I decided not to struggle with it any further so this computer has been a Windows box ever since (hardware is all the same except now I have 64GB ram instead of 4 GB).

Fast forward to 2022, I need an OSX system at home running the latest (or near that) OSX so I want to return this computer to being a hackintosh since it's still plenty powerful for my purposes. Unfortunately having been away from this for so long, I can't seem to figure out how to do this using Clover & Unibeast. I've read all sorts of posts here trying to bring this system to earlier versions of OSX but one thing or another has prevented me from doing so. I upgraded my BIOS to F14e a few days ago after reading my earlier BIOS may have been the reason for the problems I had way back when & then read F13P was working for people. I tried to revert my BIOS to that version but F14e prevents me from doing so claiming F13P is out of date.

So my question for others running their hackintosh on this MoBo & CPU, would you please advise how to get his system up & running? I downloaded Catalina & made an installation USB but my computer hangs before ever installing OSX. I can't seem to figure out from previous versions what kexts & settings are required, old ones I used a decade ago are either unavailable or no longer the same as what I see listed in earlier posts.

Basically consider my system as starting from scratch... no previous OSX version is installed. Please someone... I NEED HELP!

Last edited:
Hi ziglen,
even though I haven't used OSX for a while, I have a few links to some of my posts from my OSX days which might help you:

Downgrade BIOS firmware:

x79 related posts:

I always had a hard time with this x79 hardware after every OSX upgrade, but I was always able to solve the issues in the end. Up to Catalina. There I had the system up and running, but all my 32-bit incompatibility bugged me, and I was not sure about the stability of the system. Since then, I am very happy with my setup running Kubuntu. Installing "Latte Dock" will already give you a very similar user experience to OSX.

Cheers
Bru3

Last edited:
Hi Ziglen,

Check the below link will give you all what you need to make you paltform work on OSX.

Open Core

I am using this successfully on multiple platforms. Including an old Imac 27" from 2011 which according to Aplle is too old to run the latest OSX but thanks to OpenCore (and it's spin-off Open Core legacy patcher) can run the latest version of Monterey.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Philippe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back