Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm about to build my first Hackintosh. Really looking for to getting stuck in. Before I spend any money though I could really do with some advice on the kit list.

For some background I'm a long term Mac Book Pro user but need a beefy machine to handle HD video editing. I'm also missing FPS so want a Win7 build to get me back into that.

I've bought a second hand G5 case from the local apple repair shop (£20) and intend to use that as the case.

I want to select components that are the most compatible to achieve a really stable system.

So here is my proposed kit list:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2
Intel Core i7 930 D0 SLBKP Bloomfield 45nm, 2.8 GHz (oc to 4Ghz)
XFX HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 AMD / ATI Graphics Card - 2GB (6x mini DP)
2x Corsair Memory Dominator GT 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) Triple Channel Desktop (12GB)
256GB SSD Crucial RealSSD Solid State Drive CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 (System drive for OSX)
XFX Black edition 850W PSU
Corsair H70 Water Cooler
3 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black (2 for Raid 1 editing drive and the other split for win7 and OSX music apps)
LG BH10LS20 10x Blu-Ray Writer
Bluetooth - Targus USB Bluetooth ACB10us v1.0
Some Noctua 120mm case fans
2x Apple 24" LED displays (already owned)
NI Kontrol 1 for audio

The main issue is getting a gfx card working with my Apple 24" LED displays. I want to drive 2. Not fussed if the audio works.

Input and feedback very welcome, are there better combinations I can go for?

Cheers

If you are concerned about the graphics card working give the database a look in the wiki: wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_Card_Database

And get a brand/model that is confirmed as working. Everything else seems fine at a glance. I did a quick search and did come across some people having problems with 1600 RAM in that motherboard.

Quote about RAM:

Funny issue I found with the Corsair CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 RAM XMP'd to 1600. Had to fiddle with the voltage a bit or it would freak out BIOS and go to the default settings. If I had to hard shutdown, it would freak out as well. Since I've updated from FA to FB, it hasn't given me any problems thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back