Contribute
Register

Help me understand difference between Unibeast and Clover Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got everything working fine using Unibeast and Multibeast and a few other things and should have just enjoyed have macOS on my PC, but I wanted to better understand how it all worked. Also, I figured that if I made my config.plist file on the installer USB nearly identical to my ending config.plist with the right kexts that the install process would be more seamless and things like iMessage would work right away.

I started by following this guide on youtube which uses clover bootloader.

With this my PC does constant reboot loop after only showing 3 lines in verbose mode:

Code:
OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I compared this to the setup on my Unibeast usb and found that Unibeast used OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi versus OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and HFSPlus.efi versus VBoxHfs-64.efi. I found that HFSPlus.efi is Apple version and might be faster. I could not find the difference between OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi versus OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. I deleted and adding the files Unibeast is using, is that all I have to do to switch - nothing to config.plist? None of this changed anything...

I then went through the config files screen by screen and slowly tried each also with no luck. Initially I had FakeSMC.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext in the clover kexts other folder. I then tried without the ethernet kext and then also with the additional kexts that were on Unibeast still with no luck...I read about putting the kexts in the 10.10 folder and also about a nullcpupowermanagement.kext that might be required - I don't see it on Unibeast...

Finally, I was sick of it so I just deleted the whole efi subdirectory that clover bootloader created and replaced it with the one on my Unibeast usb....that worked...but I don't understand why I couldn't get it working manually....

Thanks for any help in understanding the difference between clover bootloader and Unibeast...

I mainly have these questions:

1. What is the difference between OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi versus OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi?
2. Does simply swapping around the files in the drivers64UEFI director change them or are config.plist changes required as well?
3. What is the difference between the 10.10 folder versus other folder in kexts
4. Any idea why it reboots after only 3 lines with clover bootloader versus working perfectly with Unibeast?

I mainly have these questions:

1. What is the difference between OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi versus OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi?

These are different versions of driver which is using for fixing memory map created by AMI Aptio EFI.

You have to use the one which is working for you, do not add both drivers at the same time.

2. Does simply swapping around the files in the drivers64UEFI director change them or are config.plist changes required as well?

No config.plist changes required while changing these drivers.

3. What is the difference between the 10.10 folder versus other folder in kexts

One is version specific folder and another one is common.

Recommended way is delete all the 10.x folders and keep all your kexts to Other folder.

4. Any idea why it reboots after only 3 lines with clover bootloader versus working perfectly with Unibeast?

It may due to improper option selection while clover installation or wrong config.plist

We have proper guide in this forum for making bootable USB, so no need to follow any such kind of video tutorials.

UniBeast is an utility which will install clover to your USB with minimum required options/drivers and config.plist file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back