Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have owned two macbook pros. Both got very hot. the lates model i had (the 2009) got so hot running games in windows 7 that it suddnely would shut itself off. Made the computer a POS.

Do you all know of any hardware attachments which might jettison the heat from the MBP? I know there are Laptop cooling pads, but those are usually made with the purpose of it being able to sit in your lap... I want an extra set of fans which will vent the heat from what is to my mind a bad design.

Sofware is not the answer running the fans on high never solved the problem.

Any harware there designed to actully assist in MBP heat managment?

First, you may have your fans exits block by dust/dirt/crap. This will require you to take apart your MBP. You can find instuctions at iFixit.com for your year/model of MBP. This happened to me. I hat to replace my wireless card as it's very sensitive to heat. Once I cleaned the exit ports, my MBP is back running at reasonable temperatures.

Second, there is a utility to run called smcFanControl:http://www.eidac.de/ that allows you to adjust your fans from the default settings. However, since your MBP's are several years old, I suggest cleaning the fan exit ports.

Thx for the advice. I actually got rid of both my MBPs in anticipation of the new ones. I suppose its possible its a dust problem but somehow i doubt it reading threads of 2011 models having the same problem. Hopefully Apple is not asleep on this issue.

I know about SMCFan
I used lubbos fan in windows.

Hopefully a redesign will solve the problem... its always been an issue withh MBPs. Apple has a pride issue which seems to prevent any acknowledgement of the problem.

I was going to recommend the SMC as well since I had some over heating issues. It's like the fans won't kick in (by default) until it gets around 55-50C which is ridiculous. So now that I have it installed it usually stays within 30-40C unless I have it on a blanket for a few hours. I do agree it is an issue, and Apple is too stubborn with their "sleek" design to understand that these things need to be properly cooled. When I used to have my VAIO, which was a massive 17in thing that weighed like 10lbs, I had a laptop cooling pad which was very heavy duty and worked fairly well. I think it was made out of aluminum and had some pretty heavy duty fans that plugged in via USB. I'll look for it later, I'm not sure if Newegg sells it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back