1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

Need some expert assistance here. Here are my system specs:

Diamond Radeon HD 5750
GA-H55M-USB3
Core i3

I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, onboard audio is working, and HDMI shows up as an option in audio outputs. HDMI audio is technically working, but it drops out for about a second every 5-10 seconds. When the drop out occurs, it seems as though my receiver is re-establishing the HDMI connection each time. DSDT edits for HDMI audio have been done.

HDMI audio is working fine in Windows 7, so I do not believe it is an issue with my receiver, the HDMI cable or a hardware fault on the video card. What I was suspecting was that maybe the diamond cards process HDMI audio in such a way that it is causing this issue under OS X, therefore I was wondering if getting a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 would fix the issue.

Let me know if you guys need any more info.

Looking forward to your input.

Macdude0010

macdude0010 said:
Hi Guys,

Need some expert assistance here. Here are my system specs:

Diamond Radeon HD 5750
GA-H55M-USB3
Core i3

I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, onboard audio is working, and HDMI shows up as an option in audio outputs. HDMI audio is technically working, but it drops out for about a second every 5-10 seconds. When the drop out occurs, it seems as though my receiver is re-establishing the HDMI connection each time. DSDT edits for HDMI audio have been done.

HDMI audio is working fine in Windows 7, so I do not believe it is an issue with my receiver, the HDMI cable or a hardware fault on the video card. What I was suspecting was that maybe the diamond cards process HDMI audio in such a way that it is causing this issue under OS X, therefore I was wondering if getting a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 would fix the issue.

Let me know if you guys need any more info.

Looking forward to your input.

Macdude0010
I saw the problem in 10.6.8. I concluded the problem was 10.6.8 because it happened on AMD and Nvidia graphics cards. Apple acknowledged audio problems in 10.6.8 and put out a fix. However, I did not confirm the fix solved the problem. Instead, I am still at 10.6.7 (no problems) on some systems and Lion on the rest with no problems. I suggest 10.6.7 or 10.7.1.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I forgot to mention that I initially was on 10.6.7, had the HDMI working, but was experiencing the same drop out/skipping issue with the audio. I performed the upgrade to 10.6.8 in the hopes that maybe the upgraded version of the applehda.kext would resolve the issue, but unfortunately it did not.

I am preparing for an upgrade to Lion now. One question though: Is there a certain applehda.kext that I need in order to get on-board and hdmi sound working in Lion? If so, where can I download it, I tried searching on the forums, but was not able to find it.

macdude0010

macdude0010 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, but I forgot to mention that I initially was on 10.6.7, had the HDMI working, but was experiencing the same drop out/skipping issue with the audio. I performed the upgrade to 10.6.8 in the hopes that maybe the upgraded version of the applehda.kext would resolve the issue, but unfortunately it did not.

I am preparing for an upgrade to Lion now. One question though: Is there a certain applehda.kext that I need in order to get on-board and hdmi sound working in Lion? If so, where can I download it, I tried searching on the forums, but was not able to find it.

macdude0010

After you install Lion, update to 10.7.1. Use the AppleHDA installed with 10.7.1. HDMI audio will work without on board audio. You will need to find a Lion on board audio solution for your codec.

Do you only get the audio drop out? or do you get video drop out as well?
On my system, Windows works perfect, but OSx 10.6.8 and PS3 get audio and video drop outs until it doesnt come back at all. The drop outs are every 1second when it starts happening, until it permanently drops out.

Ive figured the Receiver's HDMI is faulty as when connecting directly to the TV there are no issues on any system. My receiver is the Yamaha DSP-AX761, and my TV is the Pioneer 4280XD.

Issue Solved! The upgrade to Lion solved the issue. The issue was related purely to audio dropout and once I upgrade to OSX Lion the issue was resolved.

Also, for my 889 onboard audio, I used the ALC889_for_Gigabyte_67_68_chipset.zip codec found on this page:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=140941

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back