Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,
So I had an issue where my hackintosh was suddenly turning off at random whilst using Pro Tools. To my stupidity, I realised I hadn't connected the controller for the GPU cooler which meant it wasn't actually on at all. So it was the GPU overheating that was turning the hackintosh off.

That was a few weeks ago and everything has been fine since until yesterday. Working in Pro Tools for about 3-4 hours and suddenly the random shut down again. Literally goes blank, power completely cut. I tried turning back on, lights flash on the motherboard, fans spin but then wont restart. (Sounds like it tries a few times but something is stopping it from starting).

Left it for a few hours but it still wont start up. The motherboard clicks three times with a few LEDs flashing and then nothing. I've recorded a video of this (link below). Any ideas? I thought it may be the CPU overheating? I replaced the PSU a few weeks ago with a brand new one so it can't be a power problem. Perhaps I need to re-paste the heatsink on the CPU?

VIDEO LINK
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrthjnt6xv2grh7/2014-10-16 09.38.07.mov?dl=0

BUILD
-Gigabyte X58A-UD3R FA
-6GB 1079 MHz DDR3 (3x2GB)
-3.24 GHz Intel Core i7
-GeForce GTX 470 1280mb
-120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD trim enabled
-Corsair RM750 PSU
-nVidia 460 graphics card
-Western Green 2TB hard drive
-Western Caviar Black 640GB hard drive
-Wifi card
-Optical drive (not currently plugged in)
-3x Venom 10" fans for airflow (I installed these when I was using the build to play games in windows and had overheating problems.)
-Akasa Venom CPU cooler
-GPU cooling unit

Tried removing the motherboard battery next to the red flashing LED but it didn't help. (saw a few people had done this on other posts).

Tried removing the motherboard battery next to the red flashing LED but it didn't help. (saw a few people had done this on other posts).

Did you disconnect the mains power first ?

It won't make any difference if you didn't.

I say so because you mention the red flashing LED - If you disconnect the power nothing should be flashing.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm sure someone can watch the video and see what is going wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back