Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Problem Solving, is there a better way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower
CPU
i7-4770K/Q87
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I just solved a problem. My newly created system would freeze infrequently but not enough that it was a big deal but the latest Apple update caused it to freeze often and I had to start looking for an answer. What I noticed is forums are awful tools for solving problems. There's no order and no easy way to tell if a post is useful advise or someone's ill informed suggestion. People quote far too often and far too much and that repetition influences the ability to rank them. People use different names for the same problems and effects or worse of all people post risky suggestions that can damage your system permanently!

There must be some tool that like vBulletin but made for problem solving. I'd like to document what I did to solve my problem but I'm afraid it will just pile up with the rest of the chaff and end up not helping anyone or even be easily retrievable.

It took me about two weeks to chase down all the likely causes and the solution ended up on a post at the motherboard maker's forum in a suggestion to try the new bios version.

Any ideas or comments?

I suggested a Kernel Panic database in a recent post on this forum so I completely support your suggestion.

It'd be a great tool, but I appreciate it'd also be a huge administrative exercise for the site admins.

Maybe taking a leaf out of the social networking sites' book may at least reduce some of the noise. Adding functionality to posts to +1 or Like when a suggested fix has worked for you would help members searching for fixes. Also the ability to tag duplicate or misinformed posts as -1 with comments would assist members to self manage, edit or delete their posts and threads.

I found the biggest problem was how to know whether a typical solution was still valid after either an Apple Update or a Multibeast Update. Perhaps solution entries need 1) Votes that show whether they worked (or not) and 2) The last time the solution was used and proved to be useful.

Perhaps some standard tags might be one way to do this i.e. "Works for 10.9.1", "Not valid for 10.9.2"?

I agree that there should be something along the lines of a ******/yahoo style of vote-based ranking for tested bug solutions so that we have some idea of their credibility and currency.

I believe the forum is good enough. Just use caution when taking advice from people. Are they knowledgeable? Are they a long-time member with many posts? Are they part of the staff team?
Use common sense to see if the persons ethos is good. :thumbup:

There are recommended builds in the Buyers Guide and I personally try to use the motherboards that are listed as the priority choices. I recognize that it isn't possible for everyone to use the same components but it seems each motherboard has it's individual sets of problems and solutions. It would be very helpful, if there was a specific section devoted to each of the suggested motherboard builds that would simplify finding the solutions to problems rather than searching all over the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back