Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Machine Upgrade - i5-2500k to i7-2600k (Brick?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all!

So I have a hackintosh that works great (i5-2500k, asrock extreme4 gen3, HD6950).

I want to upgrade my cpu to the i7-2600k. That's the only change I will be making. Do you think this is going to bust my hackintosh install? (I installed with unibeast, and am not using any custom DSDT files).

Or will it work smoothly? I am on 10.7.2.

Thanks!

It's not going to bust your install at all. :)

Frankly speaking, don't you think that kind of upgrade is, well,...I would call it a waste of money. Performance wise there's no big gain,...or is there? (Benchmarks are no real argument, I think.)

Really?? You don't think it will mess anything up??

Its possible its a waste, but i can sell my i5-2500k for around $150 used, and I can get a new i7-2600k for $200. I think the upgrade is worth $50 don't you guys?

its a drop in upgrade.
nothing with your install needs to be changed.

whether its worth it, its your money.
what do you do with your system, that is what will determine whether itll be a worthy upgrade.
eg. for me, a 2600k wouldnt be an upgrade, as i dont max out my current cpu. your case may be different.

Hi Sullx,

did you upgrade? I'm thinking about upgrading from the i5 4560 to the i7 4970k. I hope it's plug and play without screwing up the build, but have no idea.

Hi Sullx,

did you upgrade? I'm thinking about upgrading from the i5 4560 to the i7 4970k. I hope it's plug and play without screwing up the build, but have no idea.

How did your upgrade go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back