Contribute
Register

Hackintosh an XPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Laptop > Need make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3632M
Graphics
HD 4000 + GT 640M
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to hackintosh my 2012 DELL XPS 15 (L521X).
It's got an Intel Core i7-3632M cpu @ 2.20GHz, 8GB ram and Intel Graphics 4000 + NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M.
Storage: 32GB SSD, 1000GB HDD (possibly upgraded in its lifetime)
It runs windows 10 for now and I'm unsure to dualboot it or not.

Attachments

• 51uhebo+GOL.jpg
    51uhebo+GOL.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
Storage: 32GB SSD
Do you mean 320 GB ? 32 GB is barely enough room for Windows 10.

It runs windows 10 for now and I'm unsure to dualboot it or not.
It's not the best choice to dual boot on a laptop this old. Especially if macOS is installed on a HDD. Would be way too slow. Buy a laptop with tenth gen Intel CPU and UHD620/630. Then you can run the latest macOS Ventura. Even an older 8th gen Intel laptop would work.

Do you mean 320 GB ? 32 GB is barely enough room for Windows 10.

It's not the best choice to dual boot on a laptop this old. Especially if macOS is installed on a HDD. Would be way too slow. Buy a laptop with tenth gen Intel CPU and UHD620/630. Then you can run the latest macOS Ventura. Even an older 8th gen Intel laptop would work.
No, I mean 32GB. It used to run 8 I believe, even though it has Designed for Windows 7 on it and a windows 7 Pro serial number. I had to format both drives reinstalling 10, Windows 11 (yes, 11) was on the 931gb HDD.

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 28
If I recall, I think that 32GB is an SSD used primarily as cache, kinda like a fusion drive, not really intended as a primary system drive. I would say to remove both of those drives and replace the 1TB with an SSD (leaving the 32GB in place has no performance gain when used as cache with an internal SSD, and the 32GB mSATA slot may be the max that it can hold).

It used to run 8 I believe, even though it has Designed for Windows 7 on it and a windows 7 Pro serial number.
Back in 2012 SSDs were much more expensive. 32GB was enough room for Windows 7 in those days. The 1TB HDD was a way to cut costs rather than just install a very expensive full 1TB SSD. All the docs, pictures, music, video folders would have been placed on the HDD to prevent filling up the 32GB Windows 7 boot drive. This is what a MS MVP said back in 2012 in a Windows forum.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Of course he didn't mention adding all the system and security updates. 32GB was cutting it pretty close for Windows 7 11 years ago. Your laptop may have even come with a 32 bit version which would use up less space.

What I would do is keep this a dedicated Windows laptop or a dedicated Mac laptop. If macOS is more important to you, install Mojave or Catalina on the SSD and put all your non-macOS programs and data on the 1000GB HDD. That could work. Or just replace the HDD with an SSD and use that as the main drive for macOS. HD4000 is supported through Big Sur.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back