Contribute
Register

[Guide] Stork's MyHero El Capitan Installation: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
HP 17" 17-by3053cl
CPU
i5-1035G1
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Table of Contents
The Installation
Summary
Benchmarks
Updates

The Installation

This installation guide was originally part of my build description which I moved here when Sierra 10.12.0 was release to keep the build description from getting too long. I'm going to only hit the essentials of the installation which are only peculiar to the HERO. The following assumes you've got all your components installed in the computer system's case.

Making the UniBeast USB Thumb Drive

Use the tonymacx86 guide UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC. Note: your USB Thumb drive needs to have 7.63 GB of free space to build the UniBeast installation thumb drive. Otherwise, you'll need a 16GB USB thumb drive which is a better size so you can copy the following items to the thumb drive for use in the post installation phase:
:ch: MultiBeast for El Capitan which you can probably put on a 8GB USB thumb drive, but that's about it
:ch: EFI Mounter V3
:ch: KextBeast which you'll use to install the Codec Commander kext
:ch: For proper processor power management, get the SSDT for your processor from ammulder's Guide and rename it SSDT.aml; I chose the SSDT for my i7-6700K. Note: ammulder's SSDTs are for non overclocking speeds; for overclocking, you'll need to create a SSDT for your processor using PikeRalpha's ssdtPRGen.sh script located here.
:ch: Rehabman's Codec Commander kext for making the audio (after wakeup from sleep) work which we'll install using KextBeast
:ch: Clover Configurator for fine tuning
:ch: (Optional) the nVidia Web drivers for the Maxwell chipset cards (750, 750 Ti, 950 Ti, etc). See tonymacx86's sticky thread in the Graphics forum section or MacVidCards driver list.

BIOS Setup

Follow Step 3 in the tonymacx86 guide.
:ch: Update the BIOS to the latest version which is 2202 (September 26, 2016). If you're without a working computer, download it on a friend's computer and follow the USB BIOS Flashback method on page 2-12 of the GENE User's Guide.
:ch: Once the BIOS is updated, boot into the BIOS, use the Advanced Mode and make the following changes:
Extreme Tweeker
:ch: AI Overclocker Tuner > X.M.P.
:ch: Extreme Tweeking > Enable​
Advanced Items
:ch: System Agent (SA) Configuration > VT-d > Disable
:ch: PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 > Disabled
:ch: USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Auto
:ch: USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
:ch: APM Configuration > Power on by PCI - E/PCI > Disabled​
Boot Menu
:ch: Fast Boot > Disabled
:ch: Boot Logo Display > Disabled
:ch: Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
:ch: Boot Option 1 > USB installer thumb drive​
:ch: Exit > Save Changes​

Installation Notes

Follow Steps 4 & 5 in the tonymacx86 guide. But,
:ch: Insert the UniBeast USB Thumb Drive in the USB port in the bottom USB port at the bottom of the stack with the PS/2 port at the top (see Rear Port graphic above);
:ch: (Optional) If you have a current nVidia graphics card, at the Clover boot screen, click on the "Gears" icon and add Boot Argument value "nv_disable=1" (without the quotes) until you install the nVidia web drivers
:ch: Boot into the El Capitan Installer on the UniBeast Installer USB thumb drive to begin the two part installation; at the end of Part 1, you need to reboot the newly created installation disk. (Optional) Nvidia graphics card users will again need to use the Boot Argument "nv_disable=1".
:ch: When the Part 2 install process ask you to log into iCloud, do not log in - skip it - as it messes up Messages.
:ch: Drag & drop MultiBeast and Codec Commander zip files from the thumb drive to your Applications folder, unzip them, run MultiBeast and selection the following:
:ch: Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
:ch: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
:ch: Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
:ch: Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet
:ch: Drivers > USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0 (RehabMan's GenericUSBXHCI.kext)
:ch: Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit (and adds RehabMan's USBInjectAll.kext)
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration
Note that I initially used the default Mac Pro 3,1 System Definition. I recommend now recommend iMac14,2 in preparation for installing Sierra. The Mac Pro 3,1 is not supported in Sierra.

full
:ch: Save <--- Save your MultiBeast configuration file somewhere convenient
:ch: Click on the Install button in the MultiBeast window bottom right hand corner and wait for MultiBeast to finish.​
:ch: (Optional) If you have a current Nvidia graphics card, copy the Nviida driver from the thumb drive onto your Desktop, unzip it and install the driver now, but don't reboot when the installer is done, just leave it along as we'll come back to it.
:ch: Drag & drop the Codec Commander zip file from the thumb drive onto your Desktop and un-zip the file.
:ch: Drag & drop the KextBeast on your Desktop, unzip it and run it; chose to put the kexts in the /Library/Extensions folder.
:ch: Now you need to install your processor's SSDT.aml:
:ch: Open the Terminal and run the following:
Code:
diskutil list
:ch: Note the El Capitan drive's EFI partition's "diskXs1" designation - could be something like "disk1s1";
:ch: Run EFI Mounter v3 to mount the UniBeast USB drive's EFI partition;
:ch: Navigate to EFI > EFI > CLOVER > ACPI > patched folder;
:ch: Drag & drop the SSDT.aml from the thumb drive ino the ...ACPI > patched folder.​
:ch: Now click on the Restart button in the nVidia Web Driver window or reboot the computer if you didn't install the Nvidia drivers.
:ch: Reboot into the BIOS.
:ch: Change BOOT > Boot Options Priorities > Select your installation disk to either the:
UEFI Samsung 951 M.2 drive
or
UEFI setting for the El Capitan drive.​
:ch: EXIT to save the BIOS update and reboot.

To get audio working you'll need to use the Green sound port on the Rear Panel with the System Preference's Sound pane set up as follows:

full

full

Welcome to Clover and El Capitan! :clap: :thumbup:

Summary

This hackintosh is fantastic! Enjoy your hackintosh. I am really enjoying MyHero.

What Works
  • USB 3.1 ports work, but at USB 3.0 speeds. The USB 3.1 Type C connect must be inserted at the Clover boot screen and disconnected after shutdown or at reboot because, somehow, the BIOS won't boot with it plugged in. :rolleyes:
  • Sleep & Wake-up, both manual (Apple > Sleep) and scheduled (Energy Saver SysPerf pane). Wake-up takes about 15-20 seconds to complete while CodexCommander does its thing.
  • Audio through the Green back panel port. Audio works after sleep/wake-up with the Codec Commander kext.
  • iMessages (See P1lgram's build description on how to get iMessages working.)

What Doesn't Work
  • So far, everything is working as it should.
  • Continuity and Handoff because I don't have a Broadcom iMac wireless/Bluetooth 4 card and PCIe yet, but is on order.

Benchmarks

Soon

Updates
October 03, 2016. Move this guide from the build description. Additionally, noted BIOS updated to 2202 (September 26, 2016).
September 14, 2016. Update the MultiBeast note to recommend iMac14,2 system definition in preparation for installing Sierra.
September 06, 2016. Updated to the latest BIOS v2001.
July 29, 2016. Removed a non existent MultiBeast configuration option in the MultiBeast configuration. Thanks to Porkfoo for ponting out this mistake.
July 27, 2016. Noted latest BIOS version is 1902 and corrected the link to the BIOS page. Thanks, portfoo, for calling it to my attention.
July 15, 2016. Added the Syba Firewire 800/400 PCIe card and an Apple iSight Firewire webcam to the Already Owned component list
July 11, 2016. In the MultiBeast configuration, I left out "Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio" although I had it in the MultiBeast Build screen snapshot.

Last edited:
Sorry.. wrong thread..

Sorry. Wrong thread.

Last edited:
HI Stork,
I have made my Hack after your guide with some small exceptions. I use it mostly for Music Production. Now i have a new interface a Antelope Audio Discrete 8, which runs with USB & TB.
A Antelope Audio Forum Member who has also a Hack, told me he uses the USB c port on his MOBO to connect the interface via TB, using a Apple Thunderbolt 3 to USB c adapter & a Apple TB Cable.
I have bought the same cable & adapter, connected it to my hack when the clover bootscreen came up, then booted into OSX 10.11.6. Yet the Discrete 8 does not recognize/see the conncetion, nor does it appear in the System Report.
Is there a special Kext that i need to use in order to be able to use my Discrete 8 via TB/USB c adapter?

HI Stork,
I have made my Hack after your guide with some small exceptions. I use it mostly for Music Production. Now i have a new interface a Antelope Audio Discrete 8, which runs with USB & TB.
A Antelope Audio Forum Member who has also a Hack, told me he uses the USB c port on his MOBO to connect the interface via TB, using a Apple Thunderbolt 3 to USB c adapter & a Apple TB Cable.
I have bought the same cable & adapter, connected it to my hack when the clover bootscreen came up, then booted into OSX 10.11.6. Yet the Discrete 8 does not recognize/see the conncetion, nor does it appear in the System Report.
Is there a special Kext that i need to use in order to be able to use my Discrete 8 via TB/USB c adapter?
I think you'll find your OSX (now called macOS) is too old.

Does the Antelope Audio Forum Member have the same motherboard? Although our motherboard has a Thunderbolt 3 header, the header needs the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCIe card plus installing the Thunderbolt driver(s) via Windows. Find out more about your fellow member's setup. However, with our HERO VIII, you'll still need the ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 card.

I think you'll find your OSX (now called macOS) is too old.

Does the Antelope Audio Forum Member have the same motherboard? Although our motherboard has a Thunderbolt 3 header, the header needs the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCIe card plus installing the Thunderbolt driver(s) via Windows. Find out more about your fellow member's setup. However, with our HERO VIII, you'll still need the ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 card.
He has a Gigabyte Z-170 Extreme and runs on Sierra 10.12. Do you know of any thread on how to upgrade my mac OS and installing the ASUS TB Card? As for installing a WIn OS, which one should i go for and are there any special settings concerning BIOS? If you know of any threads in here that adress my questions i'd be happy to ready up on them. :D

There is a thread in the General Hardware forum section on the ASUS Thunderbolt EX II card (previous generation) that will give you insight > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-thunderboltex-ii-pcie-expansion-card-testing-thread.135959/
as will this thread > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-thunderboltex-3-pcie-expansion-card-spotted.198480/

Make sure your BIOS is up to date.

BTW, this thread talks about Thunderbolt 3 hot swapping (trying to get it to work) > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thunderbolt-3-hotswap-work-finally.247882/

There is a thread in the General Hardware forum section on the ASUS Thunderbolt EX II card (previous generation) that will give you insight > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-thunderboltex-ii-pcie-expansion-card-testing-thread.135959/
as will this thread > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-thunderboltex-3-pcie-expansion-card-spotted.198480/

Make sure your BIOS is up to date.

BTW, this thread talks about Thunderbolt 3 hot swapping (trying to get it to work) > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thunderbolt-3-hotswap-work-finally.247882/
Thank you for your help Stork and have a nice Sunday :)

hi stork i dont have access to mac system, i ve asus z170k board, and i7 6700 skylake cpu, no graphics card, currently on windows 10, any guides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back