Contribute
Register

GT 240 - OSX 10.6.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
radink
I found the info and zip file for the nvida updater. Tonight I will install even though I think I did this before. I had to do a re-install last time because I could not boot even in safe mode or with iBoot cd. Well see.

CHFriday

radink,

Well I did the install as you did and as before I got a KP on the reboot. I could boot with iBoot –x though. I deleted Extra and System/extra folders as this was sujested in the Tonymac original install procedure document. My suggestion is don’t do this as it cause an inability to boot at all!!

So I ordered a GT 250 card as I do not think I can get the Quarto card to work. I will re-install every thing when I get the new card. This gives me a lot of practice and training.

Any help from anyone will be appreciated.

CHFriday

Got a PNY GT 240 1gig DR3 card here myself.

Install instructions from a running install (for pretty much any PCIe graphics card).

Delete NVenabler 64.kext from /Extra/Extensions/

Open up Multibeast;

select Easybeast (if you have borked your install and can only boot with -x -f -s boot flags)
select system utilities (to repair permissions)
select Customization > Boot Options > 32-bit Apple Boot Screen

install, reboot

If you still don't have access to resolutions and the info is not correct in system properties

Run Multibeast;
Select Customizaton > Boot Options > PCI Root ID Fix for Chameleon

install.

IF the install fails:

open up terminal and type the following

sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist #hit enter
#enter password and hit enter

#Below ;

<key>Graphics Enabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

#add;

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

then save (applekey+o , enter) then exit.

the PCIRootUID key tells the OS where to physically find your graphics card (it defaults to look in location 0, but some MotherBoards are set up differently)

Reboot

go to preferences, displays and you should now see a full list of resolutions, finally check system information to confirm its as it should be.

Hope this provides a concise solution to installing pretty much any card with only Graphics Enabler flag. took me about 10 hours of non stop googling and thread troling to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but it works at last.

bert1584,
A BIG THANKS for the reply!

Here is what I did to get it working. It is posted else were on this form:

I have every thing working. I can play DVDs, adjust resolutions and Safari is working as it should.

What an enjoyable project but frustrating at times. So here is what I had to do to get things right on my system. Some of this I don’t fully understand so if Macman or Tony can educate me that would be a big help.

Here Goes:
I had to use EFI boot disk. iBoot worked but I could not solve my sound and Video problems with it. See over post I submitted. This is one of the things I don’t understand.

After installing SL 10.6.5 I did NOT do the 10.6.6 update. If and when I do the update I don’t know if it will break my install. It’s like, “Now that I got it working do I really want to screw things up”!

I used Multibeast to install, no DSDT file, Video using NVenabler, Macman’s recommendation for HD889a sound card, System fixes and boot loader.

Later after a week of using the system it did an automatic update to 10.6.7! How about that!

Now that the system is working should I make a DSDT file. Can I get some guidance on how to do it?

CHFriday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back