Contribute
Register

GPU recommendations for 2009 Mac Pro 5,1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using a 5770. Looking for more power in FCPX. Budget is around $500 or less. No gaming. Just video and audio production. I’ve heard that some cards are not so great for 2009 Mac Pros that have been flashed to 5,1. I’m a bit of a novice. Thanks for any recommendations.

This forum is for hackintoshes. The PC graphics cards are finicky in real Mac Pros. So, I recommend you visit the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section. Your question is discussed there all the time.

BTW, I have two Mac Pros - a 2008, which is highly "hotrodded", and a 2010 Mac Pro which I upgraded (from a 5770) to a AMD 280X about 18 months ago. The 280X was a PC 280X I bought off of eBay and had MacVidCards.com flash it for the Mac Pro. Total cost was less than $300.

Unfortunately, AMD RX and Vega are still too expensive for most people because the high demand from the crypto miners. But, the RX 580's are coming down in price. The Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB is the one to focus on for your needs.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I agree, the MacRumors Mac Pro forum will be a much better place to look for help. The Mac Pros face different issues than hackintosh users. For example, the current Nvidia web drivers are causing some color distortions for Mac Pro users. I have not seen a single complaint of this from hackintosh users, however, many are experiencing major lag issues which I have not seen any Mac Pro users complain about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back