1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. eMac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I bought my ProBook 4530s about a month ago just with the intention of having a basic OSX Machine available to me. For about $400, it's pretty awesome to have a pretty much 100% functional MacBook, though it's less than 1/2 the Geekbench of the early 2011 MBP I sold a while back.

Of course now I'm completely in love with it and want to deck it out. Other than the obvious (RAM, SSD, bigger battery), I was wondering what kind of success people have had with the other upgrades, such as upgrading an i3 to an i7 or to the 1080p screen. How far apart do you have to end up disassembling the laptop to swap out the CPU or screen. Are there any major hurdles in getting a running Mountain Lion system converted over to the new components?

I installed the 1080p screen and upgraded to an Intel i7 2630QM processor over the i3 it shipped with. I chose to disassemble the entire machine to replace the screen, despite there being a guide that doesn't require it. I felt it prevented any accidental damage to the bezel and components etc. To change the CPU you pretty much have to take apart the entire machine, so if you're doing it at the same time its not too much work.

Good luck

I can not speak about replacing the cpu, but the screen replacment is easy, provided you take your time and have plenty of patience. Having a love of tinkering helps also. Just be sure to read the thread on it and like kyron I recommend stripping the machine all the way to do the screen (especially if you are going to do a CPU upgrade) Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back