Contribute
Register

Gigabyte z170mx gaming 5 unstable, memory related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
Sapphire rx590 Nitro+
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, am looking for some help.

Following the buying guide i bought:
- i7 6700k
- Gigabyte z170mx gaming 5 motherboard
- Nvidia gtx 950 (tried with an older gts450 but it eventually crash too)
- 2 8gb Crucial Ballistic ram
- Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

Unfortunately the memory didn't work, computer wouldn't even get to the BIOS (didn't work on a different testing motherboard either), and since I bought it while visiting the US, I had to buy a new set here in Uruguay.
Thing is that I got 2 16gb Hyperx Fury sticks, and it boots fine, but after 30 mins or so (sometimes less, sometimes more) it reboots, or programs start failing. Same thing happens in Windows 10, though i get straight blue screens there.

Looking through the approved list of memories, this particular model is not there, but a similar one of 4gb does appear, with a difference in the settings where it shows with more voltage (1.35V) than the one I've got running now (1.2V).

Since I've never done any voltage twinkering before, my question is: is it advisable to up the voltage to try it on?
Because this memory is so new, I don't have spares to switch and try... and don't want to buy a new set if I can get these ones to work.

Maybe somebody have a different idea, am open to suggestions! I really want this computer to work.
Thank you
Mario

To make sure its a memory issue why not try making a bootable USB of memtest86 and starting up to that.

Just let it run. Time will tell if memory is certainly your issue or not.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Cheers and Good Luck.

Thanks for replyling.

I did run a memtest86 on Friday, almost 11 hours : )
It went through the whole thing and didn't mark any errors, not in the memory, nor the processor.
Also tried both sticks on their own, and slots 1-3, and 2-4 and used different hard drives.

The only thing I thought of, but couldn't try was to run it on Lynux because I did install it but couldn't find the network drivers.
Maybe a newer version will have them included... gonna try that later today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back