Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Launches Dual Port Thunderbolt Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
With a bit of luck, we should have a board later this week to start do some testing on :thumbup:

such awesome news :) looking forward to getting this board

Mostly it comes down to drivers, but in OS X I don't really know, since most of the drivers are modifications of other drivers...
In Windows Intel has lower CPU overheads and some advanced driver settings.
That said, a lot of Intel's "consumer" NICs have lacked things like Jumbo Packets which is meant to improve the transfer of large chunks of data if the network switch supports it, something that's still rare on most home routers for example.
Realtek doesn't have the best reputation, but in all honesty, they're not that much worse than anyone else these days.
Most of Intel's advantages these days are in software features of which many don't apply for home users.

Well I’m definitely looking forward to getting the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TB motherboard as soon as it becomes available in the US.

I was thinking of getting the Asus P8Z77-V Pro / Thunderbolt motherboard at about $259.99 but the Gigabyte seems like a better deal even at ~$300 or so.

It appears I won't be able to hold out for the MATX version of the board. I went ahead and bought the non TH version. I know it is VIA and Atheros so I am guessing it is in my best interest to disable lan and sound and just get a PCI card of the lan and a USB sound card for audio. Based on what i was hearing these boards are supposed to be the best

The Atheros Ethernet works just fine, except with Bonjour for some people.
The VIA audio can be made to work, have a look here viewtopic.php?f=169&t=67429 it requires a little bit of tweaking of Voodoo HDA.
Shouldn't be any major problems with that board, it's just not the recommended solution.

I am putting this together for a friend 600 miles away...hoping to make it as easy as possible to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back