i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 460
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got a solid Mojave build but for certain software I'm thinking I'll need to move to Big Sur or beyond for particular software compatibility.

My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti will have to be abandoned. I'll get a new graphics card if I have to but I'm wondering about the abilities of the integrated graphics (HD4600) on my motherboard…a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H. Not a gamer here but I do like to watch streaming TV on a second monitor occasionally.

The motherboard has HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort, and D-Sub video ports as seen on its specifications page.

Does anyone know which of these ports will work in Big Sur?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I've got a solid Mojave build but for certain software I'm thinking I'll need to move to Big Sur or beyond for particular software compatibility.

My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti will have to be abandoned. I'll get a new graphics card if I have to but I'm wondering about the abilities of the integrated graphics (HD4600) on my motherboard…a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H. Not a gamer here but I do like to watch streaming TV on a second monitor occasionally.

The motherboard has HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort, and D-Sub video ports as seen on its specifications page.

Does anyone know which of these ports will work in Big Sur?

Thanks in advance for any info.
The HD 4600 CPU integrated graphics is associated with your CPU (i7 4770K) and not with your motherboard. A different CPU may contain a different version of integrated graphics (e.g. HD 4400 with the corresponding i3 CPUs).

That said, the CPU integrated graphics is compatible with MacOS Big Sur, so you should be able to install and run Big Sur by removing the graphics card and using the CPU integrated graphics.

VGA is no longer supported on MacOS. Personally I will use DisplayPort or HDMI as these seem to work better with MacOS.

Thanks. I figured the VGA wouldn't work. The MB specs also mention a D-Sub adapter won't work on the DVI. If I do this I'll test a DisplayPort to VGA for my second monitor since I'd hate to just throw the monitor away.

I probably won't get around to a full move until the next macOS version comes out and we'll see what the situation with HD4600 graphics are with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back