Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 with Two M.2. Drives Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
I7-8700k
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 OC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi!
Does anyone here have experience with the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 and two M.2 drives?
If I put in a second m.2 drive (booting from the 1st), will macOS recognize it?
Will it create a bottleneck? not sure with which PC PCI-e port bandwidth is shared?

Would really appreciate help here
Thanks!

Hi!
Does anyone here have experience with the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 and two M.2 drives?
If I put in a second m.2 drive (booting from the 1st), will macOS recognize it?
Will it create a bottleneck? not sure with which PC PCI-e port bandwidth is shared?

Would really appreciate help here
Thanks!
As long as the motherboard recognizes the additional M.2 drive, MacOS should also recognize it (depending on the type of M.2 drive (SATA / NVMe)) and the version of MacOS you are using).

My Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming 2.0 motherboard is certainly able to recognize and use 2 M.2 drives. I have no doubt yours should be able to.

Note that depending on the M.2 slot you use (there are 3 on the Z370 Gaming 5), some SATA slots on the motherboard will be disabled. See the motherboard manual for details.

As long as the motherboard recognizes the additional M.2 drive, MacOS should also recognize it (depending on the type of M.2 drive (SATA / NVMe)) and the version of MacOS you are using).

My Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming 2.0 motherboard is certainly able to recognize and use 2 M.2 drives. I have no doubt yours should be able to.

Note that depending on the M.2 slot you use (there are 3 on the Z370 Gaming 5), some SATA slots on the motherboard will be disabled. See the motherboard manual for details.
Hi! Thanks for the answer.. That's what I figured.. but I know that things can be more complicated in reality (as opposed to theory)
I have some Multicam 4k video projects (in 422) coming and a sata flash drive won't do.. so I ordered a crucial p5 2tb m2 drive cause I got a good deal.. my system drive is a Samsung 960 EVO m2 1 TB drive.. had no problems with it.
will comment here with my success/failure story
have 2 mechanical big drives and 2 ssd running additionally.. so let's see if I can get it all to work a the same time without restrictions..

Btw - tried it - everything works great.. not getting the max. speeds the drive states - but more than fast enough..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back