Graphics
XFX Radeon HD5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First many thanks for compiling the guides, which did gave me the confidence to even attempt my Hackintosh build. Happy to report that I was successful in getting my configuration to run. Am experiencing a quirk and hence this email, requesting for help please.

Couple of years ago, I specifically paid extra money to get a monitor that could do 1600x1200 resolution. I really wanted the extra real estate on the y axis (1200 pixels). Now am using this same monitor with my Hackintosh.

However, the Galaxy GeForce 210 (via analog to the monitor) does not show me the 1600x1200 option. Currently only see, 1680x1050, 60Hz. Happy about 1680, but not about the 1050. Any suggestions please on how to get to 1600x1200.

Many thanks again.

---------------------------------
GA-X58A-UDR3 Rev 2.0-FD, i7-930, Corsair 6GB-DDR3-1300Mhz, Galaxy GeForce 210, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, Antec P183 full-tower, Antec 750W power supply, SL 10.6.5, Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r486, DSDT-GA-X58A-UDR3-2.0-FD.aml, Audio-ALC889 + AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback, Disk-JMicron36x ATA + JMicron36x eSATA, Graphics-NVEnabler, smbios.plist-MacPro-Mac5.1-i7,

also can not run your video card (Gigabyte GForce210) under Dreams Leopapd 10.6.5. (

ajm said:
I also have similar vid card. PNY geforce 210 1gb. What drivers did u use for your install?.

I did not install any custom drivers specifically for the GeForce 210.
I downloaded the stock "DSDT-GA-X58A-UDR3-2.0-FD.aml" from the DSDT database.

I'll be grateful if anyone has any suggestions on how to change the resolution please.
Thank you.

do you have nvenabler or graphics enabler=yes set?
When I had a GT210 card (for 2 days) it worked fine with nvenabler.

Ok, me bad. User error. Sorry.
I did not look under System Preferences -> Displays. In their I see all the resolution choices. I was only looking in the choices in the display menu bar.

BTW, I was forced to switch the graphics card to ATI Radeon HD5770 XFX card ($199), as that was the only one I could find at my local Frys that had a mini DisplayPort on it (my wife made an executive decision towards the Apple 27 inch cinema display, and I did not want to spend $150 for just the Atlona DVI-D to mini DisplayPort adapter).

This whole Apple-only mini DisplayPort thing and lack of finding it in any NVidia cards, and not finding a reasonably priced adapter to go "to-mini DisplayPort" has left a very bad taste in my mind for the Apple choosing 'closed' platforms...

It's surprising that I could not find a 'full size' DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort adapter too.

Anyway, right now the HD5770 XFX card with 5 mini DisplayPorts on it is working well. For this transition from GeForce 210 to Radeon HD5770 XFX, all I did was download the MultiBeast 3.0.3 and installed the Kexts & Enablers -> Graphics -> Enables -> ATY_Init Vervet extension.

The beauty of the MultiBeast was things just worked. So sincere thanks to the experts and the community here.

Now I dont know whether the HS5770 XFX is working in 32-bit or 64-bit. In the com.apple.Boot.plist I do have 'GraphicsEnabler = Yes'.

Thanks again to all, and greetings for the new year.

@ wantamac
I have the same problem : My whife "wants" our hackintosh to use the 24' cinema display.
I choose the XFX 5870 eyefinity 6 card because it was the only one with mini DP I found down town.
It works pretty well but I have two "big" problems : no sound on the mini DP (=> I need speakers :( ) and the fan is running fast and make noise :cry: :x
No one has found a solution for me and I think I'll change the card.
Do you have the same problems with your card or is it working 100%?
Thanks
Happy new year
Phil

filou2toulouse said:
@ wantamac
use the 24' cinema display.
I choose the XFX 5870 eyefinity 6 card because it was the only one with mini DP I found down town.
It works pretty well but I have two "big" problems : no sound on the mini DP (=> I need speakers :( ) and the fan is running fast and make noise :cry: :x
No one has found a solution for me and I think I'll change the card.
Do you have the same problems with your card or is it working 100%?

I do not have these problems with the ATI Radeon HD5770 XFX card and Cinema Display 27". I get the full resolution of 2560x1440. Also, the sound and built-in camera (Photo Booth, FaceTime) also work beautifully. I did not do anything special to enable this.

What I was not successful with HD5770 was to add a second Dell 24" monitor to the second mini DisplayPort (via the mini DisplayPort to VGA converter). The boot screens in the BIOS and iBoot screen and the grey Apple screen with the 'progress wheel' was correctly mirrored to the Dell monitor, but then I would only see display on the 27" Cinema Display and not on the Dell display.

The Dell monitor would only show a white screen with segmented by 3 vertical magenta lines. I tried this at several resolutions from 1024x768 to 1600 x 1200 and 1920 x 1080 (all supported on the Dell Monitor)....all of them worked on the Cinema display but still go the same 'white' screen on the Dell. I tried rebooting too several times without any luck. Also, in this experiment, I could not find any references in System Profiler that it recognized the Dell Monitor as the second display.

At this point I gave up, as my primary display was working, and one of these days I'll see and experiment again.

Sorry for this long post.

Thanks a lot Wantamac!
I think i'll change my GC to the XFX 5770! :cry:
Happy new year! :wave:

wantamac said:
Now I dont know whether the HS5770 XFX is working in 32-bit or 64-bit. In the com.apple.Boot.plist I do have 'GraphicsEnabler = Yes'.

Thanks again to all, and greetings for the new year.
If you have...

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

in your com.apple.Boot.plist, you're on 32bit.

You can run Terminal and type

uname -a

If you see the output like "...10.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.5.0: Fri Nov 5 23:19:13 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64" you're on 64bit

Grrrrr !
I can't find the XFX 5770 eyefinity5 in France. :banghead:
Does anyone have good experience with the XFX 5770 single slot card (it has one mini DP, it's sufficient for me)
http://www.materiel.net/carte-graphique ... ode=twenga
or with an other card with fully functional mini DP? :shifty:
Thanks +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back