Contribute
Register

GA-Z170M-D3H First Build Partial Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me preface this all by saying I am a complete noob in the whole computer build/troubleshoot arena. Please excuse any terms I may use inappropriately! I went out, bought a whole bunch of parts (Black Friday sales), put the system together earlier this week, and then went through troubleshooting the system the past few days.

I took the November 2016 Buy's Guide for CustoMac mATX build.
Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
Intel i7-6700K
Corsair H60 Processor Cooler
EVGA 960 SC Graphics Card
Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 2x8GB Memory
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb (install drive for El Capitan)
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb for storage
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb (for a later windows install)
Corsair CS 550 PSU
BitFenix Phenom M (white) Case
TP kink PCI express N900 WiFi adapter
GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter
Sabrent USB Stereo Adapter (separate purchase post build)​

Build: the case is a tight case, but I removed all brackets before starting and went well. Maybe the hardest things on the install were the water cooler and the side panel to motherboard connections. Best feeling was hitting the power switch and all went on.

OS install: because my MacBook Pro is too old to download Sierra, I went with El Capitan. I followed the instructions on the site, made my USB (BTW, it does take some time to create that boot USB, need patience). The Clover install process and MultiBeast install was really painless.

Issues encountered:
Graphics card......I downloaded the latest Nvidia web drivers, installed and thought all was good to go, no way. I was getting the flickering screen at start up. Did more and more reading up, saw i needed to insert nv_drv=1 using Clover Configurator (yes, its a separate program I learned, not the Clover Boot Screen when system first powers up), and I was able to insert that and problem solved.

The RAM not showing correct amount; system overview only showed 2x4GB RAM installed. Tried everything to get this to work right. I opened EFI partition, used text editor to change the config.plist to true where i thought it needed that, tried SMBIOS tab to enable true, all to no benefit. I updated clover, and it then worked.
Sound: no sound. I tried from the motherboard connection on back, and from the case output. I bought the USB adapter and success. Easy fix, well worth it.

Bluetooth: GLYME adapter works well. The only issue is that, when I shut the system down, the system then turns back on. potential solution, just unplug it. Great option, no! I will be looking into this to see what can be done

What works: as of now:
Graphics drivers enabled
WIFI
Bluetooth (with the restart issue)
iMessage
RAM is correct
Sound​

Not Tested:
Facetime
Handoff​

If there's any thoughts on the Bluetooth power back on issue, I would really appreciate it. I will keep looking around and see what others have encountered. I'm sure the answer is somewhere

Did some more work on that Bluetooth issue. Tried in different USB ports, no luck. Went into bios and disabled Wake on LAN, no luck. Tried Clover Configurator for shut down fix.

I dId notice when system restarts and I'm at the Mac login screen, if I pick option for power down, system does shut down and stays that way.

decided to swap out the wifi card and ordered a fence fv-t919 from amazon. claims to be fully mackintosh compatible. worked for me. only issue i ran into was the need to delete all other BT devices i wanted to pair post card swap.
issues: i shut system off, if i press keys or trackpad, system will restart. seems that if enough time goes by, then this does not happen.
system shut down from user password screen....tried this several times and always system shut down then powered back up. not a deal breaker for me, i'll just shut down after that screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back