Contribute
Register

GA-P55-USB3 above 3.2 GHz (i7 860) results in half speed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lnx2Mac said:
Murk1 said:
Thank you for your thoughts Diamond, but telling noobs to enable all the things you want, and disable the things you don't, well, If I knew that I guess I wouldn't be here scratching my head... specify please..
Check out my blog for Optimal BIOS settings.

your bio settings might not be optimal for people who want to overclock their computer, especially with Vcore left on Auto. I have seen someone claiming reaching 4.2Ghz on his i7 860 with "Stock" settings and he posted a CPU-Z screenshot as proof, on it the vcore says 1.75 because he set things to auto :lol:

shinew said:
your bio settings might not be optimal for people who want to overclock their computer, especially with Vcore left on Auto. I have seen someone claiming reaching 4.2Ghz on his i7 860 with "Stock" settings and he posted a CPU-Z screenshot as proof, on it the vcore says 1.75 because he set things to auto :lol:
Well, I'd say that someone that gets into overclocking should understand the effects of voltage requirements too...

Attachments

• Multibeast selections.png
    Multibeast selections.png
    1 MB · Views: 115
If you all havent solved the problem by yourself: I think i have. I tried every combination of OS, Chameleon and son on, no go to reproduce the working overclocking. Now i found out: When I install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in Extra/Extensions, it works! Got my I7 870 Machine to 4.08 GHz at the moment without any problems! Atthe moment with Chameleon RC5 593, but i bet it will work with newer versions, too. Dont know if i works with RC4 and wont test that, but i am glad it works now.

Update: Works with my Chameleon RC4 Installations on older machines, too!

rhalls said:
If you all havent solved the problem by yourself: I think i have. I tried every combination of OS, Chameleon and son on, no go to reproduce the working overclocking. Now i found out: When I install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in Extra/Extensions, it works! Got my I7 870 Machine to 4.08 GHz at the moment without any problems! Atthe moment with Chameleon RC5 593, but i bet it will work with newer versions, too. Dont know if i works with RC4 and wont test that, but i am glad it works now.
You don't need NullCPUPowerManagement.kex when using DSDT, and it's best to set it right than disable Apple's power management. Here is a quote from the maker of NullCPUPowerManagement.kex:
...The option isn't guaranteed to stay around, it's more for debugging purposes so you can keep the NullCPUPowerManagement kext in your Extensions folder while you play around trying to make Apple's CPU PM work....

Try copying my settings in the BIOS since we have the MB & CPU from my signature. Basically enable everything in CPU features except Turbo Boost & remove NullCPUPowerManagement.

Hi!

O.K., you are correct, thanks, i should have been reading your posts more accurate... Now it works without nullcpuxxx.kext. Gets a little hotter at 4.07 GHz than before, I shopuld stay below 4 GHz I think (was 86 degrees, but the cooler isnt one of the top-coolers...).

Thanks for your help!

BTW.: Do you know why 4.07 GHz without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext gives me up to 86 degrees while using my old settings and using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext results in about 73 degrees?

And: Is there any special reason you use a CPU Clock Ratio - 20 while the i7 870 uses basically a value of 22 (and can be set to 24)?

What porblems can be caused by using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext?

So many questions... I thought I know many things about hackintoshs but there are so many things to learn :)

rhalls said:
BTW.: Do you know why 4.07 GHz without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext gives me up to 86 degrees while using my old settings and using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext results in about 73 degrees?
If you're not running smbios 11,1, give it a try. Enabling Apple's cpu PM shouldn't make your system hotter, if anything, it should run cooler...

rhalls said:
And: Is there any special reason you use a CPU Clock Ratio - 20 while the i7 870 uses basically a value of 22 (and can be set to 24)?
it seems that my CPU likes lower multiplier better and i could keep the temp & volt lower that way. I tried to not discuss my settings in details in the original post of my system setup thread. But if you read my follow up posts, I did talk about BLCK/Multipliers as well as voltage and other configurations in more details. It might help you optimize your setup.

Edit: didn't notice I left my multipler still at 20. I now have it at 21 since I'm running at 4.2Ghz up from the original 4.0Ghz.

It sounds like you found a workable solution, but I'll still throw my two cents in just in case future searchers need a plan B.

I had this happen to me after I was tweaking the CPU advanced energy saver settings in the BIOS...I started getting Geekbench scores about half what I expected. I went back to the defaults, saved it, then reset them back to their optimal overclocking settings as I had found through trial and error (with a good head start from shinew's thread). Everything back to normal. Nothing kext related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back