Graphics
EVGA GeForce 660ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys, There's not a lot on this board regarding the UD4P, despite the popular use of the UD3R. I *believe* the UD4P is actually a better mobo, so I wanted to make sure I posted my results.

I. Components
Mobo: Gigabyte GE-EX58-UD4P
CPU: Intel i7 920, SLBEJ Overclocked to 3.6 ghz (see below)
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB
RAM: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1066
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W
HD1: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB Solid State Drive (system)
HD2: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Bluetooth: Sarbent (works otb, wakes from sleep)
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-U12P

II. Install Process
I just followed the tonymac guide located here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

He does a fine job of explaining the process, and I have nothing to add to it (other than my particular mutlibeast options, which are below). The only note that I will add is that for some reason, after the iBoot step, my Bios would switch back to optimized defaults, and it would totally screw me up. If you're having issues, make SURE that you have the proper BIOS settings outlined in the guide. I just saved the settings to CMOS, and made sure to re-load them every time I rebooted. Now everything is fine.

III. Multibeast Options
A few notes here... I was get REALLY messed up with the audio. The UD4P has the Realtek ALC889a chip. ONLY... and mean ONLY select "ALC885/889a" under the "Non-DSDT HDAEnabler" option.

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-06-24%252520at%25252010.40.09%252520PM.png

IV. Overclocking

I simply followed this guide: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe...ing_guide_we_push_nehalem_its_limits?page=0,0

This article will explain the WHY's and HOW's to overclock, which I highly recommend. Every system is defferent... temps will be different... room temperatures are different. It's highly unlikely that you'll have the same exact components as other people, so you need to understand what you're doing if you're going to overclock. That being said, here are some of the basic settings that I ended up with to get a stable clock of 3.6 ghz. Keep in mind, my RAM is really holding me back. If I were to do it over again, I'd buy 1600 ram, that would free up some options. When I have the funds, I'll be upgrading to 12GB 1600 RAM, so I'll post the results when I do.

CPU Clock Ratio: 20X
Turbo: Enabled
Base Clock: 180
RAM Speeds: 8, 8, 8, 24, 1
VCore: 1.35v
QPI: 1.415 <--- This is technically over the suggested range, but my system is fine
DRam: 1.64v

V. Results
Geekbench (32 bit): 11,037
Cinebench Open GL: 25.29 FPS
Cinebench CPU: 6.55 pts

I think my GPU is really holding me back here.. the Open GL score is not great. I will probably upgrade to the 460 GTX when I have the funds available. The system feel really snappy... it's great. However, when running Final Cut Pro, I am having some glitchyness / crashes. I THINK this is due to the GPU, but I'm not sure. It's not terrible though... I'm definitely able to work, but I do save often.

Geekbench.png

Screen%252520shot%252520Cinebench%252520Open%252520GL.png

Screen%252520shot%252520Cinebench%252520CPU.png

VI. Problems / Issues

1) The computer does not shut down!! If I go to the apple, and click shut down, it will power down, and start right back up again. Basically, it will only restart, not shut down. I have to hold the power button to get it to shut off. Anyone have thoughts / suggestions on how to fix this?

2) Squealing PSU. When I put the system together, I got this god-aweful sound everything the system was processing. From the reading I did, it's the capacitors in the PSU squealing, and it's a somewhat common problem. As soon as I overclocked it went away. However, if you're not overclocking, turn disable "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" and "C3/C6/C7 State Support" in the BIOS and it will go away.

I am a bit interested in your results. I just installed the Noctua NH-D14 last week and a few issues came up when I installed.

1 - When I shutdown OS X the computer does not power off.
2 - I had to edit com.apple.Boot.plist and turn Graphics Enabled to No again.

Not sure if this is caused because the of the NH-D14 or something else.

very weird... I can't imagine a fan causing that issue. My fan speed is not even controlled by the motherboard... not connected at all. I have it connected to manual fan speed controller.

Please let me know if you figure out the shut down issue though. It sounds like our problems are a little different... When try to shut down, the computer restarts (i.e. boots right up again.. just as if you had hit "restart").

Wish I could offer more help. My 2 cents... why don't you take a look at the corsair H50. It's probably cheaper than the noctua & probably has better cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back