Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. Power Mac
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have a hackintosh based on a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P motherboard. 8GB RAM.
(https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3P-rev-10#ov)

Running with integrated graphics off the motherboard.

I recently updated to Mojave successfully.

I later installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580, with 6+2 power cord from the PSU (an older, OCZ ocz600mxsp 600 watt unit, manual: https://www.inet.se/files/pdf/6909565_1.pdf)

Machine doesn't post with the GPU connected to the 6+2 power connector (no beep). The GPU fans do spin, however. If I remove the 6+2 connector (but keep the card in the PCI slot), the system boots up normally with integrated graphics.

I attempted to change the Display init priority in the BIOS to PCI, but it seems to default back to AUTO.

Is there something else I should try, or something that I am missing?

Thanks!

Just a thought, missing or wrong kexts have no bearing on this situation if the system won't even boot, right? Again, when the card is not plugged into the 8 pin connector, the system boots into integrated graphics fine.

I looked at my motherboard manual and it said that for display init, PCI Express was not set by selecting "PCI" but rather "PEG". I tried that and no change.

I also tried reseating RAM and the video card itself, but no change. The card fits really tightly on the motherboard since it's Micro ATX. The side of the card barely misses the RAM slot clips on one side, and on the other, the 6 primary SATA connectors are right there and i have to pull the cables out of the way so they don't rub against the rear card fan. But I think it's clicked in adequately. I just can't visually tell but it looks even and I heard the click.

Do I need to disable onboard video in the BIOS? Right now it's enabled and set to 64MB. I'm just afraid that if I do that and it won't boot anyway, then I'll be unable to change that setting since in addition to the system not posting with the Radeon plugged in, I won't be able to use the integrated graphics since I had disabled that. Is this a valid concern? or will the system default to integrated graphics if nothing else is set up?

If I needed to reset my BIOS, will it keep my saved presets intact?

OK, updated the profile personal details.

A couple more things. I noticed my BIOS version is F3 while the newest is F7. It's only a year older and the only stated improvements are
  1. Improve onboard D-SUB compatibility
  2. Enhanced Realtek LAN compatibility
  3. Fixed CPU warning temperature issue
At least what is listed in the Support Downloads page https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3P-rev-10#support-dl-bios

Those don't sound mandatory for proper discrete GPU functionality; Is it likely that there other fixes that might address whatever it is I'm dealing with?

My Bios Settings are as follows. I tried to capture most of the settings.
  1. M.I.T.
    1. Current Status
      1. CPU CLock Ratio - 34
      2. Advanced CPU Core Features
        1. Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology - Auto
        2. Turbo Power Limit(Watts) - Auto
        3. Core Current Limit(Amps) - Auto
        4. CPU Core Enabled -Auto
        5. CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Auto
        6. C3/C6 State Support - Auto
        7. CPU Thermal Monitor - Auto
        8. CPU EIST Function - Auto
      3. Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) - Profile1
      4. System Memory Multiplier - Auto
    2. Advanced Frequency Settings
      1. Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) - Profile1
      2. System Memory Multiplier - Auto
      3. Performance Enhance - Turbo
      4. DRAM Timing Selectable - AUTO
      5. Channel A / B Timing Settings (all default, didn't modify these)
  2. BIOS Features
    1. Boot Option 1-8
    2. Bootup NumLock State - Enabled
    3. Full Screen LOGO Show - Enabled
    4. PCI Rom Priority - EFI Compatible ROM)
    5. Limit CPUID Maxmimum - Disabled
    6. Intel Virtualization Technology - Disabled
    7. Network Stack - Disabled
  3. Peripherals
    1. LAN PXE Boot Option Rom - Disabled
    2. ATA Controllers - Enabled
    3. ATA Mode Selection - AHCI
    4. HCI Pre-Boot Driver - Enabled
    5. HCI Mode - Auto
    6. HS Port 1-4 Switchable - All Enabled
    7. xHCI Streams - Enabled
    8. USB2.0 Controller - Enabled
    9. Audio Controller - Enabled
    10. Init Display First - AUTO (always defaults to this)
    11. Internal Graphics - AUTO
    12. Internal Graphics Memory Size - 64M
    13. DVMT Total Memory Size - MAX
    14. Intel (R) Rapid Start Technology - Disabled
    15. Legacy USB Support - AUTO
    16. XHCI Hand-off - Enabled
    17. EHCI Hand-off - Disabled
    18. Port 60/64 Emulation - Disabled
    19. Trusted Computing
      1. Disabled (need to double check this setting)
    20. Onboard Lan Controller#1 - Enabled
    21. ASF Configuration (Alert Standard Format)
      1. ASF Support - Enabled
      2. ASF BIOS Mode - ON
      3. ASF WatchDog Timer - Disabled
    22. MCTP Configuration (Management Component Transport Protocol)
      1. MCTP Support - Disabled
    23. Super IO Configuration
      1. Serial Port A, B, Parallel Ports - All Enabled (I should probably disable these)
    24. Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology
      1. ISCT Configuration - Disabled
    25. Marvell ATA Controller Configuration
      1. AHCI (I forget the exact settings, but these ports are not in use)
    26. Serial Port Console Redirection
      1. Did not document this setting yet.
  4. Power Management
    1. AC Back [Always Off]
    2. Power on by keyboard - Disabled
    3. Resume by alarm - Disabled
    4. ErP - Disabled
    5. High Precision Event Timer - Enabled
    6. Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN - Instant Off
    7. Internal Graphics Standby Mode - Enabled
    8. Internal Graphics Deep Standby Mode - Enabled

one thought on my BIOS. It's as close to the recommended settings for Mojave installation that I could get. I think. I'm not 100% sure, so anyone out there looking for BIOS settings should use with a grain of salt, or better yet, find a better source.

I also don't know whether I should keep these BIOS settings going forward or if there's a better setting for for day-to-day system usage.

Any ideas?

Bad card? or bad PCI-E port? or bad power supply? Or is there something off in my BIOS settings?

The power supply is modular, and there are two PSU ports I can plug the 6+2 power cord into and neither makes a difference.

I did a little testing.

TL;DR:
  1. GA-B75M-D3P probably POSTS with an older GPU unsupported by Mojave (but wasn't able to 100% verify).
  2. 2nd Hackintosh (functional and normally running High Sierra and nVidia GTX 970) is able to POST with RX 580, but surprisingly(?) does not complete load into High Sierra.
  3. Going to try swap PSUs this weekend and see if that affects things.
  4. Plz Halp

I tried the RX 580 in my other hackintosh. it posted and booted. I could see the post screen and the Apple loading bar screen, but then video cut out. It's a system running High Sierra, and a GTX 970. It has a slightly beefier PSU at 650 watts vs 600. I was under the impression that the RX 580 was supported natively under High Sierra and as a result should have just worked, but that could be wrong. But at any rate, at least the card posted there, but the fact that it didn't boot fully into High Sierra, does that mean the card could be bad? Or would the nVidia driver conflict with RX 580 usage?

I also tried some old GPUs in the GA-B75M-D3P system. I heard the POST beep but was not able to see any output. They were two older DVI-only cards, one of which is a Radeon 6870, while the screen I was testing on is a 4K TV with HDMI. I need to continue testing but stick in a traditional monitor to see if there is any video output from the POST sequence to speak of. But I don't believe the Radeon 6870 is Metal capable, so that's probably why it didn't complete the boot.

Given the partial success of the RX 580 on the 2nd hackintosh system, the final variable I need to consider is the PSU, so this weekend I plan to swap out PSUs and see if the GA-B75M-D3P system will POST with the RX 580 if it has a different PSU that did manage to contribute to successful POST (if nothing else).

Please, if anyone has any ideas or tips, let me know. I'm doing my best but clearly falling short so far. I've tried to provide as much information as I can and I'm a little surprised no one on these forums has anything to say. I need to figure out fairly soon if I need to RMA or just give up on the card and eat a restocking fee.

I did a little testing.

TL;DR:
  1. GA-B75M-D3P probably POSTS with an older GPU unsupported by Mojave (but wasn't able to 100% verify).
  2. 2nd Hackintosh (functional and normally running High Sierra and nVidia GTX 970) is able to POST with RX 580, but surprisingly(?) does not complete load into High Sierra.
  3. Going to try swap PSUs this weekend and see if that affects things.
  4. Plz Halp

I tried the RX 580 in my other hackintosh. it posted and booted. I could see the post screen and the Apple loading bar screen, but then video cut out. It's a system running High Sierra, and a GTX 970. It has a slightly beefier PSU at 650 watts vs 600. I was under the impression that the RX 580 was supported natively under High Sierra and as a result should have just worked, but that could be wrong. But at any rate, at least the card posted there, but the fact that it didn't boot fully into High Sierra, does that mean the card could be bad? Or would the nVidia driver conflict with RX 580 usage?

I also tried some old GPUs in the GA-B75M-D3P system. I heard the POST beep but was not able to see any output. They were two older DVI-only cards, one of which is a Radeon 6870, while the screen I was testing on is a 4K TV with HDMI. I need to continue testing but stick in a traditional monitor to see if there is any video output from the POST sequence to speak of. But I don't believe the Radeon 6870 is Metal capable, so that's probably why it didn't complete the boot.

Given the partial success of the RX 580 on the 2nd hackintosh system, the final variable I need to consider is the PSU, so this weekend I plan to swap out PSUs and see if the GA-B75M-D3P system will POST with the RX 580 if it has a different PSU that did manage to contribute to successful POST (if nothing else).

Please, if anyone has any ideas or tips, let me know. I'm doing my best but clearly falling short so far. I've tried to provide as much information as I can and I'm a little surprised no one on these forums has anything to say. I need to figure out fairly soon if I need to RMA or just give up on the card and eat a restocking fee.

It’s is probably not the power supply. I have a 410 watt PSU and it works. Are you running 2 video cards? There are reports of people with Legacy (non-UEFI) motherboard systems that can’t get the RX cards to get past black screen. Can you boot in UEFI mode? Does the Board have the capability with a bios update?

Thanks Gigamaxx for your response!

I assume that 600 Watts should be more than adequate but, perhaps there's something wrong with those rails? who knows. I just want to check that off the list. I'd actually love for the PSU to be faulty and the cause of the problems.

I'm wondering why you are suggesting my board is non-UEFI. I had assumed that it has UEFI because on the Overview tab of the product page (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3P-rev-10#ov), it says it has "UEFI DualBIOS™ Technology". But on the Specifications tab, it makes no mention of UEFI, just has a BIOS section:
  1. 2 x 64 Mbit flash
  2. Use of licensed AMI EFI BIOS
  3. Support for DualBIOS™
  4. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.7, WfM 2.0, SM BIOS 2.7, ACPI 5.0
So, I'm a little confused... am I running BIOS or UEFI?

I am not running two video cards. I had been running with integrated graphics on this board for a long time, and I just bought this RX 580 so I can run in 4K resolution (this system functions as a HTPC).

I mentioned earlier in the thread that my BIOS version (should that be a face-palm tip off for me? lol) is 4 versions old, but according to the upgrade details, the only benefits for each version were

1. Improve onboard D-SUB compatibility
  2. Enhanced Realtek LAN compatibility
  3. Fixed CPU warning temperature issue
That doesn't mean there aren't other fixes and updates, but you'd think they would spell those out if they existed?

At any rate, I'm unclear on how to tell if the board has UEFI mode capability (with or without a BIOS update). How would I be able to figure that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back