Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6780
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am about to venture into the land of G5 Case modding. I've been reading (lurking) these forums for a few weeks now, and I've seen some amazing work when it comes to G5 mods.

I intend (as others have before me) to utilize my case as OEM as possible. I don't want to cut the outside, and I want to use as many original ports as possible. The front panel seems to be pretty straight-forward (cut and trace wires, and solder on appropriate connectors for there respective headers)... maybe even using the adapter that's in one of these threads somewhere...

But my first real question is this: Has anyone conquered the OEM Apple feature that when the computer is put into sleep mode, the LED "breathes" on and off?

How about the OEM Apple "Chime" when power is applied to the motherboard? I've seen the script that will make the chime happen when OSX reaches a desktop state, but that seems to late and doesn't make it feel OEM enough for me...

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how replicate both of these issues with an Arduino... wouldn't that be a good way to do it?

Has anyone seen anything like this?

To be straight about it....NO, those features are in BIOS on the Mac mobo, ATX BIOS do not support them.

ATX boards will blink during sleep, but not in the S3 mode that running OSX requires.

If you wanted to replace the simple post beep with an official Mac chime, you could use the Front Panel Speaker connection on the mobo (which at least in both builds I have made only beeps and doesn't output audio as a trigger signal) for the Arduino. Set it up with a diode and resistor to trigger an interrupt that will play the chime. At one time I found a website with ALL the Mac startup sounds...so you can pick. If you want to get fancy, you could detect the non-Post signal and play the original Mac crash sound....

For sleep, you would need to detect sleep, then blinking the LED would be easy. Use power to the Arduino to power the LED on by default (power on condition) + some sleep signal (maybe a signal to the monitor to sleep) to make the LED act appropriately during sleep. You might have some luck looking at the full ATX specifications to find what signals to which pins are generated by sleep signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back