Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod - A long term project... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi pahoran,

Sorry to crush your hopes but I don't really wish to part with the second case at the moment.

It's looking like I'll be attempting a 'non-stock' mod as my cases are bashed up so I want to keep hold of the second machine pretty much for same reasons you're after one yourself! I think the second case will come in handy once I start cutting and later refine the look of the case. It's also a backup in case I completely b****r up my first attempts at cutting. If anything should change you'll be first to know. :)

In other news, I got my hands on a dead microATX board today (ASUS M4N78-AM) which should come in handy with planning out the case interior.

Next up is to get my hands on a dead graphics card.

Compass said:

Thanks Compass,
That looks pretty much like what I hand in mind in terms of cutting my case. I do hope I make a neater job of it though (rounded corners etc). Probably going to paint it eventually so I have plenty of opportunity to sand, smooth and repair any scratches.

Doesn't look like the sellers of that G5 have given any thought to the door panel side of the case. Without the feet or handles there will be a strip of aluminium missing above and below the door section. The one below the door is pretty important (not just for looks) as it forms the 'groove' that holds the 'tongue' on the bottom edge of the door panel. Without this piece the entire weight of the door is hanging off those 3 little catches on the locking mechanism.

Looking like I'll get a chance to attempt cutting the side-piece/handles etc this weekend though I will probably have a go at straightening them first as I should have access to some clamps and timber etc.

I'll post my cutting plans before the end of this week in case anyone is looking to do similar.

Later :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back