Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm hoping to build my Hackintosh in a G5 case in a couple months. I have been reading as many different sites, blogs, and forum entries to see what the best way to do this would be.

Here are my components:

1. Apple PowerMac G5 enclosure

2. ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

3. Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7870

4. Video card - I have a question below.

5. Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

6. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

7. OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

8. Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

9. LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM

10. CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

In other words, it's the LifeHacker build, but without the Antec Sonata case and with the Corsair PSU.

From the advice I read on a couple of sites including InsanelyMac and this one, I am planning on getting a

10. Lian Li Replacement Mini Removable Motherboard Tray - PC-V351

For those of you who might have done a similar build or have case mod experience, I have a few questions:

1. Will these parts fit into the G5 case with minimal case modifications (apart from cutting the back vent (I'm not a purist.)?

2. How do I get the front I/O to work properly? I saw a dude selling a Mac 30 pin to ATX cable, but I doubt he does that anymore. I did find this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-G5- ... 897wt_1141

3. I am thinking of getting a EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, but I actually want one with HDMI. Any Vid cards with similar specs, but with HDMI you guys can recommend?

4. Some of the builds I saw had minimal fans. I am wondering how many fans I should be running -- which leads me to . . .

5. Is 750w PSU overkill? Is 500 enough?

6. And finally, if I want optical out sound, then do I need to get a separate sound card?

Motherboard: What I can see there is a DSDT file for that motherboard. I hanvt checkd at the boards specifications but get a card that has support for USB3.

CPU: No comment.

Graphics card: GeForce 220? I know people run this card but I don't know how easy it is to get it working. I'm asking that question my self: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10779 . Their are also models of this card that is fan-less.

Storage: Do you need it to be a 7200rpm or is it only to be used as storage? Samsung has a drive at 2TB that has 3 platters at 670GB each, instead of 4 platter that is normal for 2TB disks. Two drives? 5 and 8.

Memory: 8GB don't cost much more.

SSD: Their is a 2,5" model of that drive: OCZ Vertex 2 E. I dont know if their is any performance difference between them or price.

Optical drive: No comment. I dont know.

PSU: 750W is much more then you need. CPU max 100W, graphic max 50W, drives maybe 25W total, motherboard maybe max 30-50W. A 500W is enough.

G5 case: No comment.

the case mods are not that easy, the motherboard standoffs are not in the right position, its not hard but will be some work. see my build post for pics. if you want some more help in doing this mod let me know.

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=10170

Thanks for the comments guys. I am concerned about motherboards and CPUs being compatible. Does anyone know how to make sure they are?

People also seem to write that the Gigabyte mobos are better - IE the X58. Should I be running one of these?

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 623
  • black.jpg
    black.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 196
Yeah, I've seen those. Only thing is, I'm trying to follow the EULA as much as possible. As long as I am using a Mac case, I am using "Mac-Branded hardware", right?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

In response:
SMHI said:
Motherboard: What I can see there is a DSDT file for that motherboard. I hanvt checkd at the boards specifications but get a card that has support for USB3.

CPU: No comment.

Graphics card: GeForce 220? I know people run this card but I don't know how easy it is to get it working. I'm asking that question my self: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10779 . Their are also models of this card that is fan-less.

Storage: Do you need it to be a 7200rpm or is it only to be used as storage? Samsung has a drive at 2TB that has 3 platters at 670GB each, instead of 4 platter that is normal for 2TB disks. Two drives? 5 and 8.

Memory: 8GB don't cost much more.

SSD: Their is a 2,5" model of that drive: OCZ Vertex 2 E. I dont know if their is any performance difference between them or price.

Optical drive: No comment. I dont know.

PSU: 750W is much more then you need. CPU max 100W, graphic max 50W, drives maybe 25W total, motherboard maybe max 30-50W. A 500W is enough.

G5 case: No comment.

Video card - is fanless better than with fan? Is there a better graphics card that is as "vanilla" and problem free?

I'll look into that Samsung 3 platter 2TB HDD. Only for storage.

SSD for startup - does it matter if it is 2.5 or 3.5?

Thanks for the headsup about the PSU.

Thanks, SMHI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back