Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning everyone. I have searched and found a lot of helpful information but nothing for my particular problem. As the title suggests I would like my new 10.8 machine to operate just like my old G5 it is replacing when it comes to mail and my contacts. I have read that you can drag the mail files over to the new machine but I have also read that that can screw up mail and contacts because 10.8 folder structure is different than 10.5. Any all help as is greatly appreciated. I only use the Mail app and the Contacts app.

Thanks,
P

Well, I came from 10.5 and drag/copy all my Mail messages from my old PowerMac to a 10.6.x hackintosh. (I networked the 2 computers together.)

Sorry, can't remember/give you specific steps what I did after copying the files, it's been more than a year ago -- all I can tell you is it's doable. -- but again, that was a copy from 10.5 to 10.6, not 10.5 to 10.8

Just try it, you won't lose anything anyway.

Should i do it over network or target disk the G5 and use firewire?

Whatever is convenient for you. The point is you need to copy the Mail files over from the old machine to the new ones into the same directory structure and location on the new machine.

You need to enable and show the system/hidden files on your mac. Otherwise they are "hidden".

The mail messages are located under
/users/yourname/Library/Mail
and also /Mail Downloads

Copy everything inside those directories, youll find bundles, Mailboxes, MailData POP-***** subdirectories in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back