Contribute
Register

Freezes when using iMovie and Aperture // GT 9600 (SOLVED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all, I'm a beginner at all this so excuse me for posting potentially stupid questions...

Just got my system up and running:

Gigabyte P55-USB3 (Bios F3)
Core i7
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GT9600 1 GB

It works ok, but the whole computer freezes in certain situations using certain programs, for example iMovie and Aperture. But it also freezes sometimes using other programs, but way more seldom. The mouse freezes and there's nothing I can do...

That made me think it's a problem with the graphics card (and posted in this section).

I used another installer first (and hoped that was the problem), but today I did a clean install with iBoot/Multibeast - and still has the same problem...

My friend has almost the same computer. But a GT9800 instead. I also checked his bios and it's F4 (while mine is F3) - same motherboard. His bios might also be tweaked differently.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Should I buy a GT9800 instead? Is it the bios? (How do you even update the bios...is it possible?)

Thanks in advance,

Re: Freezes when using iMovie and Aperture // Nvidia GT9600 1GB

Jollo said:
Hi all, I'm a beginner at all this so excuse me for posting potentially stupid questions...

Just got my system up and running:

Gigabyte P55-USB3 (Bios F3)
Core i7
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GT9600 1 GB

It works ok, but the whole computer freezes in certain situations using certain programs, for example iMovie and Aperture. But it also freezes sometimes using other programs, but way more seldom. The mouse freezes and there's nothing I can do...

That made me think it's a problem with the graphics card (and posted in this section).

I used another installer first (and hoped that was the problem), but today I did a clean install with iBoot/Multibeast - and still has the same problem...

My friend has almost the same computer. But a GT9800 instead. I also checked his bios and it's F4 (while mine is F3) - same motherboard. His bios might also be tweaked differently.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Should I buy a GT9800 instead? Is it the bios? (How do you even update the bios...is it possible?)

Thanks in advance,
Your BIOS is way out of date, the current version is F8 and there is a DSDT available in the database for it.

Thanks, I understood that, but didn't get how to flash the bios? On Gigabyte's page you can only download .exe-files. Haven't flashed an bios in 5 years: last time I owned a PC! ;)

Also, after upgrading Bios do I need to do a completely new install - or is it enough to run Multibeast with the correct DSDT?

Thanks in advance,

OK, managed to upgrade the bios to F8. Now, do I need to delete any files before running MultiBeast with the correct DSDT?

Thanks,

Sorry for all the posting... ;)

Got a new bios and re-run MultiBeast after deleting the Extra-folder. Computer up and running again, but same problem...

Can it be a BIOS-setting?

Or should I buy a new graphics card?

Also, forgot to write before: the easiest way to freeze the computer (happens every time) is to export a iMovie-project. It's just not possible. The computer always freezes somewhere halfway (but at different points).

Thanks,

I have the same issue with my 2nd PC, its specs are identical to this one except it is using a 9600GT. It gets about 3fps in Cinebench using any combination of fix suggestions you will find on these boards. I have ended up just buying the same ATI 5770 as in this machine which should arrive today! :clap:

Heres a brief list of what I tried to fix it.

Add card to DSDT.
Use graphicsenabler only.
Use nvenabler kext.
Use MacPro3,1 / 4,1
Use iMac11,1 / 11,3
Install 10.6.5 beta
Install my 5770 to make sure it was not the machine (got 27fps in Cinebench).

Which graphic card did you use then?

(I have GT9600).

Can you recommend the 5770? I will happily buy a new graphic card if I'm sure that the card is the problem...!

Thanks,

Oh sorry, didn't read it properly. You are using the same card.

If I buy a new one - do I need to do a clean install - or can I just run MultiBeast again?

I ran the iBoot supported first...

Thanks,

There are a few posts in the forums about installing the AT 57xx cards. You might want to check the obvious stuff first like heatsink is seated, ram is ok etc. But I have installed the 5770 in the problem machine and its all sorted now :D

Just want to tell everybody that I solved the problem, if someone has the same problem.

It wasn't the graphics card - it was the memory.

I ran Memtest but didn't find any errors. I bought new memory anyway (corsair instead of patriot - also CL8 instead of CL9) and now everything is working! So far anyway... ;9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back