Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
diving into my first build overall, and first attempt at modding a G5 case! Really just looking for a little input from the experienced folks out there...I'm sure I'll be running into some tough spots but this whole experience is really just about having some fun!
This rig will primarily be used for audio production. Wasn't impressed with the new Mac Pro and the lack of real expansion or the cost. Had an old G5 sitting around, which got me to thinking about recycling as much of it as I could, which lead me here! Case has been stripped of everything at this point, and I'm currently waiting on the Laser Hive kit. The planned parts....

mobo: GA-H87-D3H
cpu: Intel Core i5-4440
ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB
psu: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless
StarTech.com 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD
apple 20in cinema display (older model)
apple wireless trackpad
apple wired keyboard
IOGEAR GBU521 USB Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter
blackch mods front io cable

mostly going mid range as it's my first build, and I'm diving into the abyss of case modding at the same time! The machine will be used for Ableton Live and some video stuff. I'm looking into a video card primarily to drive dual displays, thinking about the GeForce GT 640. My first step is going to be housing the psu inside of the original g5 psu housing. I'm thinking about using the smaller fans in front configuration and swapping them out for some new ones as its evident the originals are a bit loud. The psu mods I've been looking at seem to be light on details on this aspect of the mod, any tips out there for this configuration? Any glaring compatibility issues with my setup?

I would step up to GDDR5 card like a GTX 650 or GTX 750 if I were you, they are only marginally more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back