Contribute
Register

Finesse of macOS. Freedom of FreeBSD.

And a naming worthy of Ubuntu…

airyxOS "Tanuki" (kawaii desne?)
ravynOS "Pigmy Marmoset"
If the names go on in reverse alphabetical order, I propose "Aardvark" for the final release. :cool:

A name can't make a bad thing good, but something good can make the name.

As to prospects, it seems like it's getting started with a good angle.

Not clear if it's a solo project that will resonate the way that Linus' work did? Can it be the right thing at the right time? If they achieve goals of decent compatibility, maybe as hackintoshers become expatriated it can get a following...

I think what's needed is a killer media app, which needs to be something about the web publishing that's truly cool, and ports of independent media creation tools that support its coolness.

Unfortunately this thing doesn't run in a VM yet... So got to add another drive to check out.

It has been almost 1.5 years since the last release... I hope they didn't abandon it.

The installation instructions were last updated on June 16, 2023 so it's maybe not abandoned.
But seeing the pace at which Haiku moves forward (at "beta4" after 22 years), with a small team, a small foundation and a small budget, it's no wonder that the pace of ravynOS is as glacial as blizzard in downtown Toronto.
I wish Zoë Knox all the best—she'll need it, and some more.

Back