2. 512K
  3. Classic
  4. iBook
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks,

I'm almost ready to push the button on this build configuration for a scratch build Hackintosh and thought it might be prudent to have some battle-hardened builders cast an eye over it and look for any weaknesses. The goal is a budget-conscious mid/high level system which will handle flight sims and video editing on top of work. I've tried to build flexibility in to experiment with over-clocking and for adding additional peripherals (802.11n, Firewire) in future. Component choice is influenced by availability in this part of the world.

• ASUS P7P55D-E LX Intel P55 USB3 SATA3 DDR3 LGA1156 ATX Motherboard[/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • Core i7-870 2.93 GHz, Socket 1156[/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • XFX HD-585X-ZAFA Video Card, Radeon HD 5850, 1024MB, DDR5, PCIe-16, DVI, HDMI, CrossFire[/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550W ATX12V Power Supply [/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • Scythe Mugen 2 (Rev.B), CPU Cooler, 120mm, Black/Silver [/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA II 7200RPM 32MB [/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • Samsung SH-S223B DVD Writer, DVD 16R/22W/8RW[/*:m:2i64j8gi]
  • Antec Three Hundred Gaming ATX Case Black[/*:m:2i64j8gi]

I've spent the better part of a day checking for compatibility etc so hopefully the makings of a good build here!

Thanks.

MOTHERBOARD: Their is a DSDT for motherboard but unknown version. I would get a motherboard with at least one 4x or more PCIe port for expansion. Lite GA-P55A-UD3
CPU: -
GRAPHIC CARD: One card works according to wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_Card_Database . But that list is outdated.
PSU: -
HDD: Ok
OPTICAL DRIVE: Sony Optiarc is preferred in a Hackintosh for sleep/wake.
CASE: It seems to be ok. Get a case with vibration damping for hard drives.

+1 for using a Gigabyte MB.

They have much better success with the iBoot & MultiBeast s/w & install procedure. Not saying the Asus won't work, but the authors use Gigabyte MBs. Takes some risk out of you having a successful Hackintosh.

Any reason why you didn't pick the recommended equivalent system build that Tony has on his blog (excluding the case)?
Three Updated LGA 1156 Builds for OS X

Thanks for the info. I did see the suggested budget builds and can see that Option 3 is basically the same spec. Unfortunately there's limited availability of some of those parts here. I think the suppliers are all gearing up for SandyBridge so not many P55s on offer (although will definitely re-evaluate with a Gigabyte product). I originally chose this MoBo because I was looking at a board with Firewire (for future occasional DV camera capture/control from Final Cut) then decided a Firewire card would be more reliable and downgraded to a variant without Firewire.

Is it a safe bet to go with a Gigabyte P55 board that is not yet listed as tested and working based on track record?

What's the risk of choosing another manufacturer of GPU for the same card spec? I originally had a Diamond picked but that's out of stock. I'd prefer not to wait weeks for stock to arrive in the country. I did see the XFX card listed on Ox86 Wiki page for 10.6.6 so assumed that once supported, it would pretty much remain so.

Can't do much about the DVD writer - purchased that with some gear we need for work to qualify for a discount. Did check out it's support though and it sounded OK.

I'll have another scoot around though and see if I can get something nearer Tony's set-up.

Why not get a motherboard with integrated USB3 and Firewire 400? GA-H55M-USB3 and GA-H57M-USB3 has it but GA-H57M-USB3 also has a 4x PCIe port, GA-H55M-USB has a 1x PCIe. It is cheeper in the long run to get it integrated and you have free expansion ports for future need.

That'd be nice but I've not seen any confirmation that onboard Firewire will work (not to say it doesn't). The MoBos listed for 10.6.6 here list it as turned off in the BIOS or not used.

OK have updated the rig to this spec. The only unknown now is whether that Corsair Vengeance Ram (which has tall cooling fins) will fit under the CPU cooler on this MoBo?

• MoBo GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 INTEL P55 I5/I7 DDR3 PCI-E LGA1156 USB3 ATX [/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • CPU Core i7-870 2.93 GHz, Socket 1156[/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • Memory "CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3-1600 (Vengeance-C9*) 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB)"[/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • GPU XFX HD-585X-ZAFA ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 DX11[/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • DVD Writer Samsung SH-S223B DVD Writer, DVD 16R/22W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/4RW, Internal, SATA, Black, OEM, Nero[/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • PSU CORSAIR HX650 650W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY [/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • CPU Cooler SCYTHE MUGEN 2 (REV.B) HEATPIPE CPU COOLER [/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • OCNZ ANTI-VIBRATION HDD RUBBER SCREWS, 10PCS (BLACK) [/*:m:1osppcjv]
  • Case ANTEC GAMING THREE HUNDRED CASE [/*:m:1osppcjv]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back