Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been using wired Ethernet just fine for quite a while in Mojave 10.14.6 with my Gigabyte Z170XP build. I originally used the IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0 kext (according to my notes). This weekend I decided to update kexts to get my USB 3.0 working, which I finally was able to do. But somehow I broke my ethernet during my experimentation. I'm still trying to figure this all out, so I may have manually dragged a kext or two into /Library/Extensions, which maybe I shouldn't have done.

I can mount my EFI volume, run MultiBeast, and no matter which network I choose, I get no Ethernet. The Network preferences toggles between "Cable Unplugged" and "Ethernet not connected". Someone said I should be using Realtek with this motherboard; Intel Mausi is what worked for me before; and someone else said they had to use Atheros. So I don't know which is right, and none of them work so far.

Is it a problem if there are multiple network kexts installed? If so, how to I clear them out and start "fresh"?

I was able to get my network running again. I copied the IntelMausiEthernet.kext from a TimeMachine backup of /Library/Extensions into my current /Library/Extensions, and removed the Realtek one. I don't know why multiple attempts at doing this via Multibeast didn't cause this to work before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back