Contribute
Register

Dual Booting Windows 7 and OS X 10.8.5 separate drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am planning to build a dual boot system with the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H, Socket-1150
Intel Core i5-4670K
Geforce GTX 660
KINGSTON DDR3 HYPERX 8GB 1600MHZ

I will keep each OS on different 120GB SSDs as I understand this is simplest. I also have a 500GB and a 1000GB HDD for storage.

My questions are:
-If I format the storage drives to exFAT, will I be able to use them with both operating systems? Or would it be adviseable to use one separate storage drive for each OS?
- I have a 120gb with windows 7 already installed. Can I keep this as is and just plug it out when installing OS X on the other 120gb disk?

Thank you

I am planning to build a dual boot system with the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H, Socket-1150
Intel Core i5-4670K
Geforce GTX 660
KINGSTON DDR3 HYPERX 8GB 1600MHZ

I will keep each OS on different 120GB SSDs as I understand this is simplest. I also have a 500GB and a 1000GB HDD for storage.

My questions are:
-If I format the storage drives to exFAT, will I be able to use them with both operating systems? Or would it be adviseable to use one separate storage drive for each OS?

You could but there are reports of OS X causing corruption with exFAT drives. I suspect this is because people are leaving Windows hibernated while they switch to OS X (bad idea), but I have not experienced this issue myself, so I cannot be sure.

- I have a 120gb with windows 7 already installed. Can I keep this as is and just plug it out when installing OS X on the other 120gb disk?

You can as long as Windows 7 is installed in legacy mode (not UEFI). Chimera cannot boot a UEFI install of Windows, so if it is UEFI, you'll have to re-install for each booting via Chimera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back