Contribute
Register

Dual Booting (OS X on SSD, Win8 on HDD/Mac Storage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Okay so I have OS X installed and running on my SSD. Now i would like to install Window's 8 so I can play games through it except there is 1 catch. I bought a 1tb 7200rpm internal hdd but I need to split up that drive for storage also. So in theory I would like to take 500gb for windows only and the other 500gb for OS X storage (movies, music, etc on the Mac side). I have looked through the forums but I really can't find exactly what I'm wanting to do.

I'm a beginner so please if you can help with a step by step guide it would help so much.

Okay so I have OS X installed and running on my SSD. Now i would like to install Window's 8 so I can play games through it except there is 1 catch. I bought a 1tb 7200rpm internal hdd but I need to split up that drive for storage also. So in theory I would like to take 500gb for windows only and the other 500gb for OS X storage (movies, music, etc on the Mac side). I have looked through the forums but I really can't find exactly what I'm wanting to do.

I'm a beginner so please if you can help with a step by step guide it would help so much.

Partition it in two parts in Disk Utility under OS X. Make one partition HFS+J (for OS X storage) and another MS-DOS/FAT-32 as the Windows install target. Launch the Win8 installer in legacy mode (non-UEFI mode) and install to that partition (you will have to choose Custom install and format it as NTFS via the Win8 installer).

Partition it in two parts in Disk Utility under OS X. Make one partition HFS+J (for OS X storage) and another MS-DOS/FAT-32 as the Windows install target. Launch the Win8 installer in legacy mode (non-UEFI mode) and install to that partition (you will have to choose Custom install and format it as NTFS via the Win8 installer).

okay so i understand everything but i don't know how to launch the Win8 installer in legacy mode (non-UEFI mode)

okay so i understand everything but i don't know how to launch the Win8 installer in legacy mode (non-UEFI mode)

Every BIOS is different, but you can see the difference when devices are listed for possible booting. If in doubt, turn UEFI mode off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back