Contribute
Register

Dual Booting from 2 different HD OSx on one Win 7 on the other ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
intel i5
Graphics
Intel
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I`v looked and looked but can`t seem to find the answer i`m looking for so some help would be greatly appreciated. I have a new base model 2013 MBP w/ i5 at 2.5Ghz, 4G ram(upgrading to 8G), Intel Hd graphics(figured it would be cheaper to build what i want myself) and I`m going to remove the optical bay and replace it with the 500g HD that it came with. In place of the original HHD I want to use a SSD and put the Mac OSx on it and Wind 7 on the 500g HHD that`s now in the optical bay. I would like to boot both OS at the same time if it`s possible. I don`t want to run both OS on a partitioned HD. I have things that I need to do on the Mac side and things I can only do on the windows side but switching back and forth between two computers is to time consuming while I`m at work. I just want to split screen my 32" monitor at work and use the one MBP. I`m hoping someone out there can help me set this up ? Also can I slightly over-clock the i5 that`s in my MBP to help keep up with both OSs ? I would also want to dedicate 4Gs of ram to each OS ? I`m very new to the Mac scene but know the windows side well..Anyone that could walk me thru this process will have my eternal gratitude. I`m in the field of mental health and there are some online programs that we must access that can only be done on the windows side but there are other things that I can accomplish much quicker using my Mac.

I`v looked and looked but can`t seem to find the answer i`m looking for so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Partly because you're looking on a site dedicated to running OS X on non-Apple hardware and it sounds like you have a real Apple Mac Book Pro.

I have a new base model 2013 MBP w/ i5 at 2.5Ghz, 4G ram(upgrading to 8G), Intel Hd graphics(figured it would be cheaper to build what i want myself) and I`m going to remove the optical bay and replace it with the 500g HD that it came with. In place of the original HHD I want to use a SSD and put the Mac OSx on it and Wind 7 on the 500g HHD that`s now in the optical bay. I would like to boot both OS at the same time if it`s possible. I don`t want to run both OS on a partitioned HD. I have things that I need to do on the Mac side and things I can only do on the windows side but switching back and forth between two computers is to time consuming while I`m at work. I just want to split screen my 32" monitor at work and use the one MBP. I`m hoping someone out there can help me set this up ? Also can I slightly over-clock the i5 that`s in my MBP to help keep up with both OSs ? I would also want to dedicate 4Gs of ram to each OS ? I`m very new to the Mac scene but know the windows side well..Anyone that could walk me thru this process will have my eternal gratitude. I`m in the field of mental health and there are some online programs that we must access that can only be done on the windows side but there are other things that I can accomplish much quicker using my Mac.

Sounds like you're looking to run Windows in a VM (virtual machine). So, you might look into that. Parallels is one such product for OS X...

Sounds like you're looking to run Windows in a VM (virtual machine). So, you might look into that. Parallels is one such product for OS X...

I agree, I would install Mac OS X on the SSD, then using the bootcamp setup install Windows on the HDD, then install Parallels on OS X and add the Windows drive as a Virtual Machine. Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back