Contribute
Register

Dual boot win7+ML [can boot from usb not from HDD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
you had been clear about that and i had understood you. i have been further investigating and i found that all the kext's that are present in the usb pen are also present in my install;

Present in your install where? If you have them in /Extra/Extensions on your HDD, generally they won't be used unless you boot "Ignore Caches" (-f) or use Kernel Cache=No.

This is because the kernel cache is only built with /S/L/E, and things in /E/E are ignored and not placed in the kernel cache and therefore not used when booting with kernel cache.

what i am failing to understand (but hope to eventually get there) is why it seems to not load (and thus not KP) some kext's when i boot from the usb while if booting from the hdd loading other kext's that provoke the KP.
but as i said, i will continue investigating and hope to be able to further update the post.

thanks

Maybe start another thread in the appropriate forum with complete information about your hardware and details about your install. Probably someone will have similar hardware and know what is required for a clean boot.

Present in your install where? If you have them in /Extra/Extensions on your HDD, generally they won't be used unless you boot "Ignore Caches" (-f) or use Kernel Cache=No.

This is because the kernel cache is only built with /S/L/E, and things in /E/E are ignored and not placed in the kernel cache and therefore not used when booting with kernel cache.

Maybe start another thread in the appropriate forum with complete information about your hardware and details about your install. Probably someone will have similar hardware and know what is required for a clean boot.

present in /System/Library/Extensions

present in /System/Library/Extensions

Could be difference in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, or smbios.plist. Could also be that you haven't rebuilt kernel cache, so you are loading an "old" configuration. Boot with '-f' to ignore caches, and probably '-v' to see what is going on.

Creating a separate thread with complete details is probably the only way you're going to resolve... And fill out your profile and/or signature so people have an idea as to what your system is made of. Most people will just ignore posts that don't have enough information...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back