CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My third dual boot Hack based on TRS96's "Quality Cheapo Mac" and Tonymac's "Building a budget Haswell Build". Thanks guys!
Motherboard: GA-H81M-H
CPU: I3-4340
Memory: 8 GB Ballistic (2 GB sticks)
SSD 1: Crucial M500 128 GB with Mavericks installed using sata 0
SSD 2: Samsung Evo 840 128GB with Win 7 Installed using sata 1

Everything installed fine but can't boot without the usb installer stick. Tried everything. Double checked the Bios.
Installed Multibeast DSDT free.
Examined the boot.plist and everything looks good.
Not sure if Going Balds sticky on dual booting applies to me or not. I did install Windows first letting the installer just do its thing (same as I did in my previous 2 successful builds). Not sure if it installed Windows in Uefi? How do I find out?
Thanks for any assistance.
Jim

My third dual boot Hack based on TRS96's "Quality Cheapo Mac" and Tonymac's "Building a budget Haswell Build". Thanks guys!

Everything installed fine but can't boot without the usb installer stick. Tried everything. Double checked the Bios.
Not sure if Going Balds sticky on dual booting applies to me or not. I did install Windows first letting the installer just do its thing (same as I did in my previous 2 successful builds). Not sure if it installed Windows in Uefi? How do I find out?
Jim
Stickie does apply to you if you want to use that guide to installation.
What seems to be the problem with installing a boot loader?

To find if Windows installed UEFI, open terminal in OS X and run diskutil list.
If Windows drive format structure shows first partition on the drive as EFI, then you installed EFI.

Another way to tell is open Windows disk management tool and look at the C drive - if it has a "Healthy EFI" partition in front of the NTFS C partition, then you installed EFI

You can either re-install Windows, use the BIOS hot key to select a drive to boot Windows, or install Clover as your boot loader if you installed UEFI.

Thanks Going Bald. You've helped me in the past and I appreciate it. Windows was not installed under EFI. Hitting the bios hot key upon start up and choosing the mac drive does no good unless I have the usb stick attached. There has to be a setting in Bios that I have not set correctly or I haven't configured multi-beast correctly. I'll keep plugging away. Any other ideas?
Thanks again

Thanks Going Bald. You've helped me in the past and I appreciate it. Windows was not installed under EFI. Hitting the bios hot key upon start up and choosing the mac drive does no good unless I have the usb stick attached. There has to be a setting in Bios that I have not set correctly or I haven't configured multi-beast correctly. I'll keep plugging away. Any other ideas?
Thanks again

Boot to OS X. Download the Chimera stand alone installer and run it. Make sure it is pointed at your OS X partition. Eject and remove the USB boot drive. Boot to BIOS and make sure the OS X drive is first in HDD boot order.

This should get you booting from HDD.

Thanks GB. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

Jim

You're not getting the "Boot0" error are you?

I ran into that. Until I read http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Thanks everyone. Smsgator's "Boot0 error" fix partially took care of the problem, but the Crucial M500 takes forever to boot. Close to 1 minute. Hopefully the firmware fix will take care of that. I'll report back. Never had this issue with the Samsung evo or the Crucial M4. Are there any other settings in multbeast to use that will speed up the boot time? Thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back