Contribute
Register

Driver mess -> Kernel panic -> Delete driver software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mountain Lion / Win7
CPU
i7 @ 3.8GHz
Graphics
Radeon HD 6XXX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello buddies,

To start off, my build is this one, it's a Golden Build - with OS X 10.8.2.

Long story:

I've been running Win 7 & OS X Dual Boot fine since I got it (+1,5 yrs ago). I bought a new headset-mouse combo recently, more specifically the Siberia Elite and Sensei from SteelSeries. These require two separate SteelSeries drivers, they call them the "Engine" and "Engine 3", which of the latter is of course the newest version.

The combination of these two drivers made my Win 7 not able to shut down (the mouse was still getting power), but I got used to forcing the shutdown so I didn't see it as a problem at all anymore. At this point I thought it was a problem with my Win installation/config as I couldn't find anyone with the same problem online. Neither did SS Consumer service confirm it as a known bug but they told they were going to fix it by making all of their devices to work with the newest (engine 3) driver software.

Of course I wanted to use my new devices with OS X as well and I installed the drivers on my Mac partition ignoring the fact that they had already caused problems with Windows. They both installed successfully, and both devices started working right away, but the second installation required me to reboot. Then at boot I got the kernel panic screen.

I thought this was no problem because I have three partitions on my 1 TB HDD, which two of are ofc for Win 7 and OS X but the spare one is small and for OS X Recovery. I boot up into recovery fine, but none of my USB devices did work, and I couldn't enter my password. I did what my keyboard retailer says to make the keyboard work with OS X (=changed the N-Key rollover setting,) and rebooted. After this I got the kernel panic screen with the Recovery partition as well, and now I can't boot up to any OS X partitions to delete the files.
Short story:

I installed two driver software which seem to cause a big conflict with each other. They don't allow my OS X to boot at all, instead they cause a kernel panic at boot-up Apple logo. After this I of course try to boot to my Recovery partition to delete the software, but I couldn't enter my password (keyboard wasn't working). I switch my KB mode to a Mac-compatible one and reboot, and guess what, I get a kernel panic screen again, and now I have no OS X partition booting up. I would need to delete the drivers from the main OS X partition (They shouldn't have ANY effect on another partition, right??), but I have no idea how that could be possible anymore.

So, after all, I know what the issue (roughly) is, but what I don't know is how to get rid of it since Win can't read OS X files and my recovery isn't working either. I don't have a OS X Thumb drive unfortunately, it broke just a while ago. (Maybe bad luck is my destiny)

I'm doing fine with windows as long as I don't need to work. I would have to work now, and even though I got both OS' installed & working etc I dare to say I'm a total newbie with these things. I need some guidance. Is there anyone who could help? I'll deliver any further info you may need. (Panic screenshot?)

Hello buddies,

To start off, my build is this one, it's a Golden Build - with OS X 10.8.2.

So, after all, I know what the issue (roughly) is, but what I don't know is how to get rid of it since Win can't read OS X files and my recovery isn't working either. I don't have a OS X Thumb drive unfortunately, it broke just a while ago. (Maybe bad luck is my destiny)

I'm doing fine with windows as long as I don't need to work. I would have to work now, and even though I got both OS' installed & working etc I dare to say I'm a total newbie with these things. I need some guidance. Is there anyone who could help? I'll deliver any further info you may need. (Panic screenshot?)

Boot into single user mode (type "-s" at the Chimera boot screen). Then you can go into your OS X boot partition and remove the offending kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back