Asus 680 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I have a hackintosh with a 6870 gfx card. Was wondering if I could get the sound working through the display port on the card. I have an adapter to HDMI and its connect to the tellie, sound works well when I boot into windows.

Thanks !

I am having the exact problem with my Sapphire HD6850. Currently I am connecting to my dell U2711 by displayport cable, but I found that no sound can be carried through it. Is there anyone got some experience to share?

Melodies said:
Hello,

I have a hackintosh with a 6870 gfx card. Was wondering if I could get the sound working through the display port on the card. I have an adapter to HDMI and its connect to the tellie, sound works well when I boot into windows.

Thanks !

Melodies & morphling,

HD 6870 HDMI audio works in OSX 10.6.8 with an edited DSDT. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=22030. Sapphire HD 6870s provide both HDMI and DisplayPort audio and don't require kext editing, however, most other cards do.

Toleda - thanks for that tip!

I wanted to try it, but I get stuck right away. "Make a back up of your dsdt.aml file."

I cant find that file, I have an extra-folder, but not that single file, hidden maybe?

Melodies said:
Toleda - thanks for that tip!

I wanted to try it, but I get stuck right away. "Make a back up of your dsdt.aml file."

I cant find that file, I have an extra-folder, but not that single file, hidden maybe?

dsdt.aml is not a hidden file. Check the DSDT Database to see if your motherboard is listed. If so, download it, put it on your desktop, rename it to dsdt.ami and run Multibeast with the userDSDT option. If your motherboard is not in the database, download DSDTSE and extract it. More information: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=22028. Good luck.

toleda said:
Sapphire HD 6870s provide both HDMI and DisplayPort audio and don't require kext editing, however, most other cards do.

Hi toleda, what one has to know before to buy a HD 6870 so that it doesn't require a kext edit for HDMI audio? I'm thinking on getting a MSI Twin Frozr II or Hawk edition because i read that Sapphire Vapor-X and Toxic editions aren't so silent anymore as before.

Thanks in advance,
Karina

KariNeko said:
toleda said:
Sapphire HD 6870s provide both HDMI and DisplayPort audio and don't require kext editing, however, most other cards do.

Hi toleda, what one has to know before to buy a HD 6870 so that it doesn't require a kext edit for HDMI audio? I'm thinking on getting a MSI Twin Frozr II or Hawk edition because i read that Sapphire Vapor-X and Toxic editions aren't so silent anymore as before.

Thanks in advance,
Karina

To figure out if an edit of the ATI6000Controller.kext is required, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=22031. You can download the vbios for the graphics card you are interested in. Follow the instructions to see if the sense_id of your card matches your framebuffer (usually Duckweed for the 6870). By the way, my Sapphire 6870 Vapor X is quiet.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I re read your guide and the link you provided to insanelymac, and if I understood correctly it isn't necessary to bin patch AppleHDA.kext because all ATI cards use the same AMD HDMI Codec_id ( 10 02 aa 01 ). So we only have to look at the sense_id for a match between the used frame buffer ( i.e.: Duckweed defined in ATIFramebuffer.kext) and the location of the connectors of the card we got.
AppleHDAController inside AppleHDA isn't either required for editing because 6800 series = HDMI Device_id 68 aa?

I'm downloading Xcode so I can execute ati-personality.pl for seeing how the ConnectorInfo looks like for Duckweed Personality and check if the downloaded BIOS I got has the same HDMI sense_id as the connector-type 0x00000800 (HDMI).

Thanks for your help, and great tutorial.

PS: forgot to mention, I read at SilentPCReview forums that the Vapor-X weren't so silent as before, and I think one can't edit Vapor-X fan profile BIOS because it isn't a reference design board and the adjustments doesn't take effect.

Karina

KariNeko said:
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I re read your guide and the link you provided to insanelymac, and if I understood correctly it isn't necessary to bin patch AppleHDA.kext because all ATI cards use the same AMD HDMI Codec_id ( 10 02 aa 01 ). So we only have to look at the sense_id for a match between the used frame buffer ( i.e.: Duckweed defined in ATIFramebuffer.kext) and the location of the connectors of the card we got.
AppleHDAController inside AppleHDA isn't either required for editing because 6800 series = HDMI Device_id 68 aa?

I'm downloading Xcode so I can execute ati-personality.pl for seeing how the ConnectorInfo looks like for Duckweed Personality and check if the downloaded BIOS I got has the same HDMI sense_id as the connector-type 0x00000800 (HDMI).

Thanks for your help, and great tutorial.

Karina

You're on the right track. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back