Register

Difference Between APFS and HFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H270-HD3P
CPU
Intel i3-7100 3.9 GHz
I’m getting my hackintosh parts soon and want to be completely prepared for installing High Sierra on my system. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on the installation process, and I hear bad things about APFS and good thing about HFS. But I have no idea what they are what does that even mean? What is the most ideal install method? I see a lot of people having issues with SSD trimming with APFS, and I am going to install Mac on a SSD. So I’d like to get enlightened on this please

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear bad things about APFS and good thing about HFS.
Strange because when you compare them APFS is really good compared to HFS...

Pertaining to SSD speed and whatnot
Well, the way it works is pretty neat. It will be a lot quicker sometimes too. As Apple say its 'state of the art' but its also fairly new (~4 years) and not as extensively tested on generic storage as it has been on Apple-firmware-controller-branded storage.

For a fresh install you would ideally (in Apple/APFS world) allocate the whole SSD as an APFS container taking up a single GPT partition (only other partition on the disk is the EFI system partition that Disk Utility creates for you).

The macOS installer will create the required APFS volumes (root, preboot, VM etc) on the installation-target APFS container. You can create or remove any additional storage volumes at any time, make instant local snapshots of them etc. and the volumes only take up the space they need on disk. Snapshots are not backups, but you can restore a volume to a previous state. APFS also has 'checkpoints' and writes to disk in such a way that it doesn't need a journal and is crash/power-loss-proof.

If you've an AHCI SSD you can choose to enable TRIM or not (but not on NVMEs). And if you run into problems with your hardware - you can always re-install using HFS+.

Last edited:
Well, the way it works is pretty neat. It will be a lot quicker sometimes too. As Apple say its 'state of the art' but its also fairly new (~4 years) and not as extensively tested on generic storage as it has been on Apple-firmware-controller-branded storage.

For a fresh install you would ideally (in Apple/APFS world) allocate the whole SSD as an APFS container taking up a single GPT partition (only other partition on the disk is the EFI system partition that Disk Utility creates for you).

The macOS installer will create the required APFS volumes (root, preboot, VM etc) on the installation-target APFS container. You can add or remove any additional storage volumes at any time, make instant local snapshots of them etc. and the volumes only take up the space they need on disk.

If you've an AHCI SSD you can choose to enable TRIM or not (but not on NVMEs). And if you run into problems with your hardware - you can always re-install using HFS+.

Fair enough makes sense thanks fam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back