Contribute
Register

Crucial, Samsung Etc. (SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried any SAS drives rehabman? I just installed my m4 today, it's friggin awesome. :) My roommate was saying they don't outperform the SAS drives in his tests.

I have not. You would not experience any advantage with SAS over SATA until we saturate the SATA3 bus (which a single SSD generally does not currently). In the future, looks like things are moving to PCIe anyway. SAS will probably remain isolated to the enterprise.

I just did a ton of reading on "to TRIM or not to TRIM" with the M4, after running the probook installer kext patch to enable TRIM I still saw that the TRIM supported was no...hmm. Shall I just leave alone?

I just did a ton of reading on "to TRIM or not to TRIM" with the M4, after running the probook installer kext patch to enable TRIM I still saw that the TRIM supported was no...hmm. Shall I just leave alone?

I'm using TRIM on my ProBook w/ Crucial M4. It works fine.

But there is no TRIM patch in the ProBook Installer. There is "Trim Enabler" in "Extra Tools" which installs Trim Enabler to your Desktop/Tools folder from groths.org. You run the app, turn on the TRIM patch, reboot, and then check your TRIM status. Should work.

Looks like there is an update to the Trim Enabler app too, so if it doesn't work, try the updated version. Scratch that... Looks like he's just only announced that there will be a new one in the future to be released when Mavericks is out.

Ah, I see. I will enable TRIM, as your advice has been rock solid so far. Also, it looks like the ram upgrade might be worthwhile afterall, to prevent page writes to my drive.

edit
I see there is a patch in the probook installer that writes to memory on sleep, that's nice.

It is not a bad price. Normally SSD is about $1/GB or slightly under. The Crucial M4 are popular drives so go for a higher price than drives with not as good of reputation. Sometimes, you find them on sale for under that (~$90). The sweet spot in terms of $/GB is in the 240/256GB range, with prices as low as $170 on sale (maybe even lower... I haven't been watching for the sales that much lately, as I have enough SSDs for now).

Yeah I want to put a 256gb in my 4530s and loose the cd drive but at this stage and by the time I pay for that I could sell the 4530s and my iPad mini and almost buy a MacBook Air cos the battery on the 4530s is horrible... Plus I have concerns about the ability to upgrade to Mavericks Ie will the Hardware still be compatible ect...

We can't talk about unofficial releases here, but lets say I feel I've seen it running on a probook. Perhaps it was in a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back