CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi my name is Jordan, Jay for short, been on the forums for a while doing research but never posted. I finally got around to buy the parts and building my first hackintosh from scratch.
I just built my hackintosh and have a couple issues I need help with.

Motherboard: gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h
CPU: i7 4770k
RAM: crucial tactical 16gb
Storage: samsung 840 Evo 120gb x2

first issue is I want to triple boot osx mavericks, win 7, and Ubuntu on a raid 0 of the two ssds but can't seem to figure out how or if it is even possible to partition the raid setup. Any ideas of what I need to do to accomplish this?

second issue is, on boot in osx my screen turns black then static then it is in the os ready to go. It's like the hdmi port turns off temporarily when it is booting. Any way to fix this? It's not causing any problems it's just not appealing and I would like a fix if possible.

third issue is, I do not have hdmi audio. I found a fix for it but for some reason I couldn't make sense of it so if someone could explain that process or has a link to that it would help a lot.

thanks in advance,
Jay

Hi my name is Jordan, Jay for short, been on the forums for a while doing research but never posted. I finally got around to buy the parts and building my first hackintosh from scratch.
I just built my hackintosh and have a couple issues I need help with.

Motherboard: gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h
CPU: i7 4770k
RAM: crucial tactical 16gb
Storage: samsung 840 Evo 120gb x2

first issue is I want to triple boot osx mavericks, win 7, and Ubuntu on a raid 0 of the two ssds but can't seem to figure out how or if it is even possible to partition the raid setup. Any ideas of what I need to do to accomplish this?

second issue is, on boot in osx my screen turns black then static then it is in the os ready to go. It's like the hdmi port turns off temporarily when it is booting. Any way to fix this? It's not causing any problems it's just not appealing and I would like a fix if possible.

third issue is, I do not have hdmi audio. I found a fix for it but for some reason I couldn't make sense of it so if someone could explain that process or has a link to that it would help a lot.

thanks in advance,
Jay
You really are asking for :banghead::banghead: with that setup.

a. Windows doesn't recognize a RAID array set up in OS X disk utility as a valid array.
b. OS X will not recognize a RAID array set up with the BIOS as valid - you have to have a hardware RAID card with OS X support.
c. RAID 0 is fast, yes, but no recovery if one of the drives has a problem. You lose everything and have to start over from scratch. Hope you have a backup plan that doesn't include the SSD's.
d. With SSD's, the read/write speed is comparable to platter drives in RAID, so why bother with RAID?
Your best bet is to put Win7 on one drive and dual boot OS X and Ubuntu on the other drive.

second issue - no idea
third issue - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/112469-mavericks-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.html

You really are asking for :banghead::banghead: with that setup.

a. Windows doesn't recognize a RAID array set up in OS X disk utility as a valid array.
b. OS X will not recognize a RAID array set up with the BIOS as valid - you have to have a hardware RAID card with OS X support.
c. RAID 0 is fast, yes, but no recovery if one of the drives has a problem. You lose everything and have to start over from scratch. Hope you have a backup plan that doesn't include the SSD's.
d. With SSD's, the read/write speed is comparable to platter drives in RAID, so why bother with RAID?
Your best bet is to put Win7 on one drive and dual boot OS X and Ubuntu on the other drive.

second issue - no idea
third issue - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/112469-mavericks-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.html

a. i noticed this when trying to install windows
b. i also noticed this after i retried and used the bios raid instead of osx disk utility raid. can you suggest a pcie raid controller card that will work for my setup
c. in the last 12 years i have only had one hd fail on me and it was the result of being dropped from a 3ft high cabinet. and i have a drive setup as a Time Machine to create a backup as soon as i get my system running the way i want it
d. a single ssd is comparable to 2-3 platter drives in raid 0 yes but two ssds in raid 0 is much faster

also i cannot understand that "guide" for the life of me is there a simpler worded or more streamlined guide or does anyone have the files i need to use to get my hdmi audio working?

TIA,
Jay

d. a single ssd is comparable to 2-3 platter drives in raid 0 yes but two ssds in raid 0 is much faster

also i cannot understand that "guide" for the life of me is there a simpler worded or more streamlined guide or does anyone have the files i need to use to get my hdmi audio working?

TIA,
Jay

d. and you need speed in which OS? Windows or OS X?
If you absolutely must have the speed, best to get 3 drives - RAID 2 drives for the OS that needs speed and install the other 2 OS's on the other drive.

The only way possible I can think of to have a single RAID0 for OS X/Windows/Ubuntu is you would need to have a hardware RAID card that has OS X, Windows *and* Linux drivers. Split the drives is 3rds, RAID0 paired volumes and install an OS on each paired volume. Don't think there is any way to do this, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back