Contribute
Register

Couple of questions before I dive into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My build:

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770
4GB ram (Gskill DDR3)
Intel Core I5-750
Some random SATA samsung DVD burner

I'm looking to get a laptop soon and kinda want a Macbook. Seeing how I have no experience with OS X however, (last time I used a Mac was an Apple ][ back in grade school) I've decided to try and install OS X on my PC and see how I like it. I've just got a couple questions before I try this:

1. From what I can tell my hardware config should work but I'm wondering if I can get video and audio out from the HDMI port on my video card? I could switch it to DVI if I needed as I just use headphones for audio 90% of the time anyway, but I'd like to leave it hooked up though HDMI if possible.

2. I can have my Windows 7 and OS X installs on separate harddrives and dual boot between them fine, correct? It's my understanding that this isn't a problem, I just wanted to double check.

3. This question is kinda silly, but I'm still using a Model M keyboard (this one is so old it doesn't even have a windows key) and was wondering if this would cause any weird issues or should I go ahead and buy a decent USB keyboard?

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone.

katka said:
My build:

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770
4GB ram (Gskill DDR3)
Intel Core I5-750
Some random SATA samsung DVD burner

I'm looking to get a laptop soon and kinda want a Macbook. Seeing how I have no experience with OS X however, (last time I used a Mac was an Apple ][ back in grade school) I've decided to try and install OS X on my PC and see how I like it. I've just got a couple questions before I try this:

1. From what I can tell my hardware config should work but I'm wondering if I can get video and audio out from the HDMI port on my video card? I could switch it to DVI if I needed as I just use headphones for audio 90% of the time anyway, but I'd like to leave it hooked up though HDMI if possible.

2. I can have my Windows 7 and OS X installs on separate harddrives and dual boot between them fine, correct? It's my understanding that this isn't a problem, I just wanted to double check.

3. This question is kinda silly, but I'm still using a Model M keyboard (this one is so old it doesn't even have a windows key) and was wondering if this would cause any weird issues or should I go ahead and buy a decent USB keyboard?

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone.

Depending on what you're outputting the HDMI to, you may or may not be able to get it to work. I can't say for sure, but I know that it's a pain with some cards (like the 9800GT). Then again, others have had success. YMMV.

You can dual boot easily, yes. :)

I would recommend a new keyboard to avoid any potential issues. Obviously, it can't hurt to try, but I'd assume it's a PS/2 keyboard, and I'd guess you'd run into issues. I can't be positive, though.

Best of luck! Your build looks great.

I agree with everything Vendetta has said. You will be okay with your build. HDMI audio is iffy with any card, but the Radeon HD 5770 is a shipping Apple product, so check around the Graphics and Audio Forums for which one offers best success for audio with HDMI. There have been lots of posters with the 5770.

Get a new keyboard. My Apple Wired Keyboard with Numeric Keypad is awesome and can be had anywhere for under $50. I've seen it going for under $43 at some vendors.

You're gonna love Snow Leopard! Welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back