GeForce GT 240
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I am going to buy hardware for my first hackintosh built. The machine is going to be used as a audio machine the control room.- Maybe someone has an advice, even it is not hackintosh related- because the machine has to be:

-> As compatible with "plain" SL as possible
-> Silent as possible.

I start with "core" components:

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 Intel Core i7 870

Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2) Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4

Ram: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 1066MHz PC3-8500 DDR3
G Skill 2x2GB F3-10666CL7

GPU: CLUB 3D Geforce 8400GS, passive cooled
ASUS ENGT 240 Silent (passive cooled)

Now for the less important components (regarding SL):
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - PCGH Edition
Thermalright HR-02
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/hr-02/product_cpu_hr-02.html

Power supply:
Silentmaxx Fanless II 500 (500W, fanless)
Enermax Modu82+ II (525W, very quiet)

Case: Silentmaxx ST-11 Pro
Antec Sonate Elite
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzIx

1 back (120mm), 1CPU(120mm, usually running at only 600rpm) -> (of course low noise one...)
Each connected to NZXT Sentry LXE for manual fan control (to contal manual- as needed):
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_lxe

Ok, thanks in advance for any advice.
I hope this system will work fine as a silent hackintosh.

Hello dude

You will be fine with running a DAW on this machine without even breaking a sweat as i've run Logic studio 9 on a core i3 540 running at 3.06 GHz. But maybe to save money you could have a look at my spec to see if you can save money and save it or spend it on other things. It installed first time with tonymac easybeast method.

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Rev.2

Intel Core i5 760 @ 4 GHz very stable

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 rev 2. Can get quieter coolers

1.5 tb Western Digital 7200 rpm HHD (NOTE i went wrong and installed OSX on a 1.5 tb partition and it failed to boot back into OSX so googled around and the partition where you install OSX MUST be under 1tb in size. Just as a note)

Corsair CX500 i think it's cx anyway. SILENT

OCZ 4gb 1600 MHz ram

8400GS MSI Nvidia 512MB Graphics Card PASSIVE

And a cheap Pioneer DVD drive but have had success with a samsung Blu-ray player.

This is a great machine and is super quick and speedy and was a breeze to set-up and cost me £420 i don't know what that is in dollars but $600 maybe.
Hope this helps
Regards

I usually look into Antec for silent cases but the one you proposed looks really cool.

How much is it?

Definetely keep the core i7 cpu, the results will be spectacular and your build will last you a long time.

After installation you also want to work with at least 8Gb of Ram in your Daw. Your mboard support triple channel memory, so it might be a good idea to look into that.

Never heard anyone using a fanless psu, I'd be interested in hearing from people who do

good luck!

1066mhz ram seems a bit slow i have an i7 with logic and use ram cant remember the brand but its 1333mhz over clocked to 1400mhz cpu is overclocked to 3.5ghz i7 870 i started out with 4gb 2x2 like you but threw in another 4gb cant say i noticed a difference. My system is more used live running Mainstage 2 out of Logic Studio

Hey guys, thanks for your replies!

Is that DubFX as in Ben Stanford, beatboxer extraordinaire?
Yes, nick is inspired by Ben Stanford. :)

I did change all components again, because I had the chance to get those at a pretty low price, saving a few bucks that can be spent on extras (like a SSD drive and a HDD powerswitch...)
I updated the built in my first post.

All parts arrived last weekend and I building the system yesterday... Now working on fine-tuning of everything, it seems to work pretty well except internal sound, but I'll have to test more (noob when it comes to Hackintosh... :crazy: ).

After installation you also want to work with at least 8Gb of Ram in your Daw.
Yes, I'm just starting with 4GB and testing... If 64Bit does work rock solid, I'll expand

Now, let's see if this built works well with Pro Tools 9. Hope it will work with the old iLok. My intention was to get rid of the limited ASIO support in Pro Tools 9. Core Audio is so much better. :clap:
Also, when everything is working rock solid, I'll clone the system HDD to a SSD for even more silent working. HDDs can be turned off by this (I'm to lazy to build a switch on my own :cool: ):
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product04.php?cl_index=2&sc_index=6&ss_index=125

Hey,

The updated components look great. You stated that this would be your first build - from my experience - to make the build go as smoothly as possible, try to find a sony optiarc optical drive. This makes the whole iBoot and OS X retail install go smoothly.

Also - I've had better luck with the 8400 GS video card than the GT 240 during install.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey edgeuser99,

try to find a sony optiarc optical drive. This makes the whole iBoot and OS X retail install go smoothly.
Thanks! I wish I had read this earlier... Of course IDE drive didn't work (for my board)... It took me hours to understand :banghead: Haha, but then I found smooth workaround saving time for the future... (using Snow Leo install DVD cloned to HDD & iBoot on USB Drive)

Also - I've had better luck with the 8400 GS video card than the GT 240 during install.
Hackintosh.... Unpredictable? :lol:
For me the GT240 worked out of the box with chameleon installed. (Didn't test Dual Monitor yet).

I have some issues left, but I need to do more research, reading this forum and try before posting about that. :idea:

Most important is, that my iLok works! Most important component to me!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back