Contribute
Register

converting guid (gpt) partition to mbr in mac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello
i've successfully installed mac osx 10.7.4 and i want to install also windows!
so i'm trying to install it but it's giving me an error can't install on this partition cuz it's guid !
how do i convert guid to mbr i've tried to do it from the disk utility but can't!

i want to convert a partition not the whole disk!
can this be done ?

Thanks.

You can't convert just a partition, partition table is for whole disk.

I know I'm bumping a thread that is nearly a year old. But this is one of the first hits, on google, about converting partition types from GPT to MBR. And, unfortunately, the answer here is wrong (at the very least it's outdated).

It can be done:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/mbr2gpt.html

I should point out that this tool allows you to go either way. MBR to GPT and GPT to MBR.

I can't stress enough that it's likely you'll lose everything since the process is not simple and requires intense knowledge of unix style disk information. Back up your target drive and remove any drives that might get destroyed by this. I would suggest even backing up your boot drive - as you could very well point this tool at that drive!

I just did it on my thumb drive. Here's the commands I used:
Code:
gdisk
/dev/disk2
r
g
p
o
r
w

Explained out:
gdisk (launched the app)
/dev/disk2 (selecting disk 2, check disk utility and get information on the disk you want)
r (recovery and transformation!)
g (convert GPT to MBR and exit)
p (print out the current partition map)
o (omit a partition)
1 (omit the first partition - the GPT one)
r (set the primary partition)
2 (set the primary partition to the second partition - the MBR one)
w (write out and quit)

Joseph Elwell.

I need to do this as well - but what will the MacOS and EFI say to this conversion from GPT to MBR? Will it just accept it straight out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back