i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[SUCCESS]Clover Guide - Z97X-UD7 TH, i7-4790K, GT 740

I wrote this last night and hit submit, but it didn't post. Try #2.

I built the system in my profile yesterday and started trying to install Yosemite this morning. I've previously built two identical Socket 2011 CustoMacs for friends using Unibeast and Multibeast.

For this build I purchased items off the Buyer's Guide for CustoMac Pro, maxing out the memory and going with a Corsair RM750 because it was on sale at Amazon at the time.

I started with the basic Unibeast instructions from my MacbookPro, and booted the new system from my USB stick. I couldn't find any single flag or combination of flags that allowed me to start. I tried npci=0x2000 and 0x3000, -f, -x, -v, PCIRootUID=1, -no-zp, cpus=1, everything I could find on this site. No matter what flags I used, I immediately got a kernel panic.

After a few hours of messing with Unibeast I decided to try the Clover method. The first time through everything seemed to work fine, although I was caught off guard by the "1 second remaining" taking more like 20 minutes on the first installer run. I got myself to a bootable SSD and then started speeding. I wanted to get the LAN working so that I could transfer Clover and the other files over instead of using a USB stick, so I installed the Intel ethernet kext. Then I started messing with HDMI audio and other stuff with multiple successful reboots. Then I remembered I hadn't finished the post-install, so I installed Clover, added the additional kexts to 10.10, and put the default config.plist over the one already installed, which I think was a mistake. Editing it like post #2 says would have been a better option.

At this point I rebooted and the startup hung at about halfway. I went out for about 3 hours and it was in the same spot when I returned. I decided to boot to the USB installer to try to fix things, but that wouldn't boot either. In short, I couldn't boot off my SSD nor off the USB stick when the SSD was installed. To test, I unplugged the SSD and the USB stick started the installer again. Plugged in the SSD and no dice.

I eventually took out the SSD and installed it in an external enclosure. I hooked that up to my MBP and re-partitioned the drive. I also ran through the USB stick setup again so that I was starting from scratch.

The second time through it didn't go as smoothly. If I tried to let the USB stick boot, it would hang at about halfway and then reboot. I had to use -v, wait a long time, and then the installer started. However, I eventually got back to a working Yosemite installation on my SSD. The FIRST thing I did was to install Clover with the UEFI options and the ethernet/fakeSMC kexts. I also used Clover Configurator to verify the settings shown in post #2, although I don't use iMessage and I skipped that part. I anxiously watched the machine reboot without the USB stick, and it worked!

I used the HDMI Audio kext found in this guide (somewhere in the 80s--forget which page) to enable HDMI audio from my video card. It works, but I didn't realize that would leave me without software volume control. It wouldn't be a big deal, but my ASUS PB278Q monitor went from dedicated volume buttons to programmable buttons that make changing the volume a multi-step process. My plan is to eventually get some real speakers and use the onboard audio, but for now this will do. I need to get my MBP migrated to the CustoMac so that my son can have the MBP for school. Then my wife won't kill me because I make her give up her iMac for his school :crazy:

I'll keep working on little problems here and there, but it seems to be going OK now. Annoyingly, the migration assistant didn't detect my user data on the 2TB data drive, and it's trying to copy all my files to the SSD. I had to deselect a lot of stuff to make the migration go through. I'll have to move it to the correct drive later so that I don't fill up my SSD.

[SUCCESS]Clover Guide - Z97X-UD7 TH, i7-4790K, GT 740

Update: I thought I had 10.10.5 on my MBP to make the USB stick, but it turns out I had 10.10.4. I ran the update from the app store, and after a reboot my system worked just fine with no kext updates or anything. TRIM and audio, the things that frequently go out, were still enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back